• Register Today It's free!

Impressions of SCT Livewire

Frank 03GT

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mountaineer V8 AWD
Well, I got my livewire from Henson Performance today. Loading the tune went without a hitch, and what a superb job James did with it. I went straight for the 93 street tune. Low-end performance was the most noticable power improvement, and power does seem to be increased a bit at every RPM. The most significant change was the shift program. It behaved exactly the way I wanted it to. It definitely upshifts at higher RPM than it would have previously. It is also more willing to downshift with less throttle. The shifts are smooth and swift as well. The truck simply drives like a dream now. The SCT emblem also looks sharp underneath the "AWD V8" badge on the back of my truck. Count me as one very satisfied customer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would look into putting a "shift kit" into your transmission. Generally, you want a "firm" shift because any delay between gears means extra wear in the friction material especially at higher RPM shift points.

Good to hear Frank. How long would you say it takes to load a tune? For me it takes almost 20-30min:( But I have the handheld. Post up some pics of how you mounted it.

I would say about 3-5 minutes - I didn't realize there was a difference there. Tomorrow I'll post some pics as I still haven't decided on a location for it.

Well damn, that f'n fast!!! I seriously would have to wait and wait for it to load. I would select a tune, start the upload and go inside. I would come out every 5 to 10 minutes to check on it and make sure no one stole it:D Can you do 0-60 and 1/4 mile on that thing?

I timed it today, it actually takes 10 minutes - time flies when you're having fun!

I've been tweaking it and found that it does not like any additional timing advance below 2000rpm, but running +2 deg. at 2000-4000 and 4000-8000 definitely gives it more kick with no pinging at all. At lower RPM's it would stall out with +2. I haven't tried more than 2, but I doubt it would make much of a difference even if it work OK. I also have the shift pressure at +25% which just makes a slight difference.

Overall, the truck just feels so strong now... I think I'm actually satisfied!:eek:

CIMG2065.jpg

CIMG2066.jpg

CIMG2057.jpg

Well I'm jealous:) Looks good. I finally got my 91 tune loaded and I actually like it better than the 93. I also changed my shift firmness to 20%. You may think you are happy now, but sooner or later you are going to be spending some more moolah:) Next mod should be an electric fan. I love mine. Oh, what beemer is sitting in the garage? An X3 or 5?

Update

Update:

It turned out that the rough idling I was having with the timing at +2 was actually from a vacuum leak - the screws holding my IAC in place had come loose. Should've used threadlocker I guess! Well, now that's all better and I'm running +4 from 0-2000, +4 from 2000-4000, and +2 from 4000-8000, which are the max's on top of Henson's 93 street tune, and this thing takes off like a freight train! There is so much torque! I got there with one small tweak at a time, and never heard a single ping along the way. I would recommend the tuner to anyone who's willing to run premium fuel.

I also had a problem with bad cell's in the walmart battery I have. I called James thinking it was the tuner, and he patiently walked my through everything and helped me troubleshoot it. He's a really friendly and knowledable guy as others have stated. By all means, get your tuner from him!

i can't wait to finish my intake, get my exhaust, and get a tune!

Frank, you've done everything I want to do. Sick mounty! Have u considered UDP's and headers?

i can't wait to finish my intake, get my exhaust, and get a tune!

Frank, you've done everything I want to do. Sick mounty! Have u considered UDP's and headers?

Headers would be really nice, but I can't afford them right now. UDP's might be possible - I'll read up on them. I know Steeda is good.

True duals would be a nice next project I think, but I need new brakes first :)

BTW, the BMW is an X3 2.5 - it's slow :p:

this is probably a stupid question but what is the difference between using this tuner from Henson Performance and using one that you buy from SCT directly..the one from the SCT website already has an explorer tune loaded into it....does Henson modify it further?

this is probably a stupid question but what is the difference between using this tuner from Henson Performance and using one that you buy from SCT directly..the one from the SCT website already has an explorer tune loaded into it....does Henson modify it further?

Yes he does, I'm not sure how much he does changes for a stock vehicle, but he makes changes to further take advantage of any mods that you have done.

i picked up my livewire yesterday...

one question...does anyone know how to change shift points, and what should i use for 33 inch tires

i figure out the revs/mile was 610....

thanks guys

Well for an SCT3 you just go to adjust settings when you are loading the tune. Who did you buy your tuner from?

Well for an SCT3 you just go to adjust settings when you are loading the tune. Who did you buy your tuner from?

yea i found it under the user adjustable options

i just dont know what to select..

a company out of florida efi components...they just dropship it straight from sct but it saved some $

You can increase the MPH to make it shift at a higher speed and therefore higher RPM. But.. the shift point adjustments don't seem to do anything on my truck anyway. Do they work on yours?

First thing would be to up the shift firmess to about 20-25%. You will like that. Then you can mess with the timing as described above. Did the tuner come with tunes?

First thing would be to up the shift firmess to about 20-25%. You will like that. Then you can mess with the timing as described above. Did the tuner come with tunes?

just preloaded tunes

im waiting for exhaust, drive pulleys, and e-fan

then imma get james to do a dyno tune, we live about hr and half away

^ The shift point adjustments don't seem to do anything on my truck anyway. Do they work on yours?

frank, i will try tommorrow

have you tried the estimated hp/tourque

theres no way that things accurate...

on a straight,no hills road, it said i was pulling 263 hp and 320 ft/lb

have you tried it out yet

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back