• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

In physical pain? Good remedies?

Gator Jeff

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport 4x4
Alright, as some of you know, I've been dealing with a lot of pain the last year or so. So far, my treatments have been prescribed pain relieving narcotics, a TENS unit and an Epidural. I'm getting my second in a couple weeks.

I've started this thread for people to share things that have helped relieve their pain. New age, old school, household remedy, whatever.

The only thing I ask is that no one flames, or critiques someone's method of relief.

If you don't think it works, that's fine, don't try it. If you see something suggested that you want to try, by all means ask for details, but it's your responsibility to check with your doctor first. Also, remember this is a public forum, so you may want to use the PM feature in some cases.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Explorer#2

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham Alabama,
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
I have real bad knee pains, its a family thing. My mom who is a doctor thinks I will need surgery sometime soon. Hopefully I dont, Im just 21 so I know I will at some point but I want it to be later in life, but we will see. On July 1st I have an appointment with our knee doctor. I really don’t want to have it ever but I know its going to get so bad that I will have to have it. Some of the things I do to help are really simple.

I eat fresh foods, i.e. fruits and vegs. I try to not eat anything that has been processed. I eat a lot of dark greens, the darker the leaf the better it is for you. Also If I want something like pineapple I get it as raw as I can, no canned stuff. I do eat a lot of pineapple, maybe two a week, cause it has stuff in it that is good for you joints. The fresher it is the better it is for you. I try to eat this stuff raw too, when you cook stuff you loose the nutrients that are in the food. My thinking behind this is if you look at nature it provides ways to fix most problems so I will look to nature before I go to medication, where did I get this idea...from my mother.

Im not a vegetarian by any means though. I eat a lot of pork and chicken. They are a lot leaner than beef. If I want beef I get bison for the most part, its leaner than beef and has many more vitamins and minerals than beef does. Thats not to say I dont like a nice cheese burger every now and then.

Also I have to have custom made inserts for my shoes and they help but I dont think its worth the price, insurance covered it so Im fine with getting them but they are not cheap.

Overall I think eating food that is good for you not just in terms of weight loss but with different vitamins and minerals has helped the most. I took a Glucosamine pill for a few weeks, at the advice of my mom, and for those weeks my knees hurt more than they have ever hurt before, if works for her but not for me.

Gator Jeff

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport 4x4
These are excellent. Thank you! I should also include the ones that I take daily no matter how I feel as they are for pain as well. I'm also taking Neurontin and Nortriptyline, so far without too many side effects.

I need to experiment with some natural remedies, though. Shopping around the perimeter of the grocery store, although mine puts the dad-gum bakery there, is best as I've heard many suggest.

Another thing that I do from time to time is basically meditation. I just sit really still and breathe slow and deep. Unfortunately, while it does take my mind off the pain, it does nothing to replace sleep and isn't exactly something I can do and be productive. For me at least, if I stop and the pain meds haven't taken effect, I'm in pain again. I do know of, and envy, others who can make it last however.

RhainyC

Reaction score
City, State
Blaine, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Ranger XLT 4WD
Jeff,

I can totally relate to where you are at...I have severe spinal arthritis, degen disk, severe facet arthritis and also stenosis of the spine. I also have no cartiladge (sp) or ligaments in my right knee.

Now I will not go into a huge thing here, but I do work in the supplement industry, and can recommend many things that are clinically proven to help with joint pain. Since you are having epi's I am guessing the pain is based in your spine somewhere...

If you want, I can post things here specifically, or I can pm you...your choice. If you can give me a bit more detail on what the causes of your pain is, it would be helpful as well. I am a very strong believer in supplements, and only recommend things that have double blind, placebo controlled studies backing them up.

Just let me know if you want the whole list....here, or PM. :D

And if anyone else has any questions, I'd be glad to offer my opinion, based on both personal and professional experiences.

toypaseo

Flunked daycare
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
outside shovelling snow
Year, Model & Trim Level
................ 96 XLT ™
Maybe check out some naturopaths.

My g/f goes to one frequently, and says he has helped out alot with her pain and sleep problems. Worth a look at least.

Gator Jeff

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport 4x4
I was just asked what my pain is from. I have Neurofibromatosis and I get little and sometimes not so little masses on my nerves. Most do nothing and for me at least, are barely visible if at all. Others effect motor nerves which is what I'm recovering from right now. Then others are on sensory nerves and cause significant pain. That's my current battle. Of course there are some that like to fall into multiple categories. Those are a real treat!

Explorer#2

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham Alabama,
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
I need to experiment with some natural remedies, though. Shopping around the perimeter of the grocery store,

Yeah thats what I do, but I one up that. I grow my own stuff so its even better. Its my form of meditation, every morning I wake up, take Mars outside, and go look at whats new in my garden. I do the same thing when I get home. I know its crazy but it helps.

There are also a bunch of exercies that you can do to help the different parts of your body that need help

Gator Jeff

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport 4x4
Yeah thats what I do, but I one up that. I grow my own stuff so its even better. Its my form of meditation, every morning I wake up, take Mars outside, and go look at whats new in my garden. I do the same thing when I get home. I know its crazy but it helps.

There are also a bunch of exercies that you can do to help the different parts of your body that need help

I'm definitely going to have a garden when I get my own place. I love pasta and it would be so nice to have a tomato vine and fresh basil to make sauce with.

As for the exercises, you are so correct. I got a "good talking to" by my pain doc because I haven't been doing as much stretching and strength exercises as I should be doing.

Explorer#2

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham Alabama,
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
IMG_20381.JPG

IMG_2033.JPG

IMG_2036.JPG

And sorry but

IMG_2037.JPG

And my favorite thing in my garden

IMG_2035.JPG

My mom is big into the training things, me not so much.

Donner

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Natomas/Irvine
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sp 03 XLT 4x4s, Scion
Man, my only method of dealing with my situation is writing - hence 4500 posts. People sometimes don't understand that some face grim, short futures; others face years of pain to come. If you can't imagine the kind of pain that requires medication, or stop reading if you think this pain is not much worse that a broken bone. If you moan or cry in your sleep, and/or wake up and can hardly move, you know this pain. No remedy, sorry, and no pain killers for me - this is just how it has to be. I write. This is why when someone calls you out of your name or "lol" about you, it doesn't matter... they just don't know.

Gator Jeff

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport 4x4
Man, my only method of dealing with my situation is writing - hence 4500 posts. People sometimes don't understand that some face grim, short futures; others face years of pain to come. If you can't imagine the kind of pain that requires medication, or stop reading if you think this pain is not much worse that a broken bone. If you moan or cry in your sleep, and/or wake up and can hardly move, you know this pain. No remedy, sorry, and no pain killers for me - this is just how it has to be. I write. This is why when someone calls you out of your name or "lol" about you, it doesn't matter... they just don't know.

Well said.

I know that should I get relief again for some amount of time and my leg strength back, I will be a very dominant rider and runner. People wonder how Armstrong did it. I can tell you that there is nothing in a race, no lactic acid strong enough to equal the pain that you, I and likely he have gone through.

There are definitely a lot of things that are therapeutic and I'm glad you mentioned writing. I hope it continues to bring you the relief you need.

Charlie

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited
Whenever I have pains, it seems drinking a lot of water helps. Probably not the same type of pains/same causes, but it's worth a try, I suppose.

unclemeat

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport
I do not know the source of your pain but topical analygisics help me. Bio-Freeze or Traumeel, I get them from my chriopractor, no prescription required. The Traumeel is also a anti-inflamatory so there is some theraputic benefit.

The most important thing is attitude. You are in a battle, you have to refuse to loose.

zukman

"Home of Misfit Crawlers"
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
arcadia calif.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91EB, '86Sami, '85Ranger
I was a very very active person, breaking and training horses,working with dogs, racing cars. I took a nasty fall at work one morning slipped on black ice. Didn't really think too much of it, was very sore for a few weeks then blew it off, working through the pain. Long story short a year and a half later after a grueling day at work I drove home opened the car door started to stand up and hit the ground. The pain was beyond anything I have ever known, I could only move by sheer will power. I could not take any pain meds at that time as the hypertension meds would not allow. I have not slept more than 45 minutes at a time now for 2 years. I do understand the scope of your pain. I am now on a fairly new muscle relaxer and a combo of pain meds. I have to say the cramps in my legs have been the worst thing I have ever had to endure.

RFR2212

Typing Police
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
In the mug by Chitown
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 JEEP Wrangler
I've got very high arches in my feet and plantar faciitis. It's pretty rough. Some days I'm lucky and have no pain. Some days are bad and even just sitting around and my feet and calves still ache.

Remedy?

Cut my feet off! No really, custom shoe insols and ibprofen eases it, however streching the calves when you first wake up helps. Sitting feels good, but can cause the tendons and ligaments to tighten. Standing in one spot can hurt, but walking can be good. Physical therapy can be good, but pricey. Calf lifting in the gym is great strength and stretch training to ease the pain.

Oh, tylenol 4 or crack works great, but legit is better...

And no, I will not do the surgury for this problem.

briwayjones

Manual Master
Reaction score
City, State
Eldersburg, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
Do you drink diet soda or drinks? If so stop. They are finding the chemicals that make up the artificial sweeteners turn into Formaldehyde in the body and can cause and contribute to joint type pain. Patients with Multiple sclerosis and similar ailments have reported a great easing of their symptoms when they stop drinking diet drinks and using artificial sweeteners.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

manaen

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Clear Spring, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Xterra Pro-4X
Everything that was mentioned is all good stuff :thumbsup: I just have a few to add

1) balanced diet, the body is an amazing healer, keeping it in tip top shape is very important. I would start out by not eating processes food, try to go organic, it may be more expensive but your body won't be fighting with your stomach.
2) Good multivitamin, this will help to supply deficiencies that the crappy food we eat today does not.
3) Clacium is the bodies naturaly pain killer, it is amazing what the results can be I had a problem a few years ago with a knee, and with that and some glucosamine I was back in action in no time.
4) Sex, Poppa needs his medicine :) not only will it take your mind off the problem, but your muscles will be relaxed :thumbsup: