In the market for a 19- Sport or Limited? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

In the market for a 19- Sport or Limited?

Coronach

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
Hey all-

My wife is in the market for an Explorer, and we've pretty much narrowed it down to a used 19 Sport or Limited. We are looking at the tow package, so the main differences (I think?) are going to be between the styling options and then the different engines- Sport with the Ecoboost 6 and the Limited with the normally aspirated V6. Is this correct?

Questions:

1. Assuming that we're towing a light camper (I'm aware of the 5,000lb limit of the Class III package), I know that the Sport will be better. How much better will it be?

2. Are the other functional/driveability differences between the two models besides just engine power?

Thanks!

Mike

Welcome to the Forum Mike.:wave:
The Sport does have the 3.5L Ecoboost. The Limited was available with the NA V6 and the 2.3L I-4 Ecoboost engine. The Sport has a stiffer (Sport tuned) suspension. The 2.3L Limited comes with FWD with AWD an option. The 5000 lb towing capability is only with the Factory installed package. I believe the 2.3L Limited has less capability.
Check out the Ford site where you can still build both of them. https://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/2019/?hptid=fv-2598-hp-va:billboard:slide0:na:ford explorer
Both the 3.5L and V6 have internal water pumps. I don't believe the 2.3L does. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Mike.:wave:
The Sport does have the 3.5L Ecoboost. The Limited was available with the NA V6 and the 2.3L I-4 Ecoboost engine. The Sport has a stiffer (Sport tuned) suspension. The 2.3L Limited comes with FWD with AWD an option. The 5000 lb towing capability is only with the Factory installed package. I believe the 2.3L Limited has less capability.
Check out the Ford site where you can still build both of them. https://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/2019/?hptid=fv-2598-hp-va:billboard:slide0:na:ford explorer
Both the 3.5L and V6 have internal water pumps. I don't believe the 2.3L does. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Peter
Peter you are correct about the 2.3 EB, the water pump is external and easy to replace plus it doesn't leak into the engine like the 3.5's. I needed it done on our 2017 Explorer during warranty do to a leak and it was like a less than a 1 hour job.

Back