In the market for a 2002 Explorer - need advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

In the market for a 2002 Explorer - need advice

a_kraker99

Reaction score
City, State
Zeeland, MI
Hello, I have been looking at some Explorers and I just wanted to get some opinions before buying one.
Is there any common issues with the 2002 or newer model that I should keep an eye out for? I see the estimated highway mpg is around 20-21. Does everyone here get about that or do you see different numbers?
I have been noticing that dealers around my area have explorers listed for cheaper than a lot of private sellers. It seems like the blue book is a bit high right now. What is a good price range for a base 2002 XLT with a little over 100,000 miles?
Thanks for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2002's are known for electrical problems, transmission problems, rear end problems, rear wheel bearing problems, and probably others that I cannot think of at the moment.

2002's are known for electrical problems, transmission problems, rear end problems, rear wheel bearing problems, and probably others that I cannot think of at the moment.

Okay, would you consider them to be above or below average in terms of reliability at higher mileage?

worst explorer ever made, stay away you have complete history on car and most items replaced already.

I have an 02 Eddie Bauer with 114K and have replaced the Tranny and Transfer Case. I have also replaced Front and Rear Hubs on the Passenger side. Have had no electrical problems to speak of. I also have not had the Broken Coil problem that I have heard about. Tranny and Transfer Case were replaced between 80 and 90K.

Mine has been OK (original trany and transfer) but if I where you I would get an 03+. 02s suffer from a lot of first year problems.

stay away from 02, Ford's first year redesign is always a mess.

transmission (at 80k) and wheel bearing (2nd set now) failure is the most common, the other issues are easy to fix.

Okay, I found a 2002 that has 150k on it and had its tranny and front wheel bearings replaced at 115k. The tranny had about 7,000 miles on it when installed which puts it at about 42,000 miles. What do you think of that? Do the engines hold up pretty well in these or is there another large expense that could be lurking at 150k miles?

I have an '02 XLT 4x4 with the 4.0 Flex engine. Its currently got about 135k miles on it, original tranny and engine. Have had no electrical issues, no engine or trans issues (but i'm generally very easy on them and in tune to whats going on with both). I would search for an Ex with the towing package and trans cooler as that will extend its life. I have however, had all new hubs on the truck, I am currently on my 4th (and need a 5th) right rear hub! The rear end is VERY loud on the '02's. I have had to replace the clutch packs, drive shaft, rear springs (broken) etc. So basically i would reiterate what others on here have said, and stay away from the 2002 models. Ford does have a very bad reputation with first year model issues. Try and find an 03 or newer, you will be saving yourself HUGE hassles, especially with a higher mileage Ex like you're looking for.

On a brighter note though, i absolutely love my Explorer and have thought bout buying a second for my wife...

I have a 2002, other than routine maintenance and having to replace the A/C Clutch, I haven't had any problems. 113k miles and going strong.

Sorry guys..but I've had EVERY problem for this particular year with the SOHC V6; rear diff, blown transmisson, every electrical problem known to man and several that weren't because they couldn't fix it and exploded front left cassette tensioner!

And here's the kicker...I couldn't have been any easier on this vehicle unless I would have hauled it around on a car carrier...which for the last 30,000 miles, that's pretty much where it's been!

I absolutely loved this thing up to around 100,000 miles...with a few annoyances up to that point...but the minute it hit that magic mark, it's been one problem after another. Pass!

2004 Mercury Mountaineer V6 - 140,000 miles.

What I've had to do:

Transmission solenoids.
Water pump.
Fan clutch.
Intake manifold gaskets.
Fuel pump.
Differential rebuild (TWICE)
A/C Compressor.
A/C Recirc door.
Alternator.
Harmonic Balancer.
Fuel sensor.
EGR Valve.
Throttle position sensor.
Belt tensioner (TWICE)
Ignition Coil.
Entire front suspension.
Thermostat housing.
Tire pressure sensors.

And now I need to redo the entire timing chain system.

We were looking for an explorer and finally got an 03 limited. Its amazing at how tight this is and how nice it drives. For having high miles you would never think it. But yet alot of the 02's we seached through seemed to have different issues and nothing drove like this. Even drove 02's with half the miles! This was also the only 03 I drove but it was night and day difference.

advice .... look for another vehicle

have had my 2004 explorer since 2005 ... and have had ALOT of problems some small some major.... also have a 98 honda civic that i have had since about 99... ..... not 1 single problem

Back