• Register Today It's free!

Inaccurate GPS - Off Route

MGregg

Reaction score
City, State
Leawood
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
My GPS system continually goes "off route", which eliminates turn directions, distance to destination and other information.

I have a 2014 Sport with the latest SYNC and map updates. Using the same roads at different times, I will be on route at times and off route other times. This happens on interstate highways, backroads and city streets; both in the city and on open roads.

The Ford owner chat room was absolutely not help at all.

I understand there may be a Technical Service Bulletin that covers this, and that a dealership may be able to correct the problem.

Has anyone incurred this problem, and can it be fixed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably not your issue, but Solar Flares have been prevalent over the past few weeks, even to the point on Sept 1, I lost all GPS signal in the Explorer and other devices for a couple of hours. Very weird.

Mine does that every so often and never did find a solution.
It would happen almost every time going up to my in-laws about 150miles away (all freeway).
About half way into the trip, it would put us on a side road next to the freeway.
Last time we went up there a few weeks ago, it worked fine.
We don't need the navigation going to their place, but it is annoying to see our position jump from road to road.

The nav in my 2019 Explorer will do that too (show off route and start “floating”). In some cases, it happens in areas where there has been major road re-construction in the past five years. In other cases, the roads have not changed for fifty years.

Sometimes too it will show a road in dark purple and act like it doesn’t exist, and try to take me on a different route.

I just keep Google Maps on my Iphone set up to take over quickly when that happens.

My GPS system continually goes "off route", which eliminates turn directions, distance to destination and other information.

I have a 2014 Sport with the latest SYNC and map updates. Using the same roads at different times, I will be on route at times and off route other times. This happens on interstate highways, backroads and city streets; both in the city and on open roads.

The Ford owner chat room was absolutely not help at all.

I understand there may be a Technical Service Bulletin that covers this, and that a dealership may be able to correct the problem.

Has anyone incurred this problem, and can it be fixed?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I found this in the forum's TSB thread. List of Useful Threads - 2011 + Explorer TSB's & SSM's

Peter

Back