• Register Today It's free!

Increase power ? Turbo? Suggest

vtdave

Reaction score
City, State
vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 ford explorer
2001 explorer ST 4.0L 205 hp. Want to pep it up for fun and maybe better mpg.
What to,do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can make pretty decent power with the 4.0.

Few things to do.
Headers, intake, exhaust....
And after you do those three get a good tune either on a Dyno or try to get a chip from a company.

Other than that superchargers are kinda impossible to find these days for our older explorers. They stopped making them and any that people sell on eBay or anything like that got taken a while back.

Now turbochargers... Those are a whole other story. You can pretty much mount any turbo to any car as they don't need to bolt to the engine. There's been a few people on this forum that have done a remote turbo setup.

Also there's the option of NOS. if you stay within 50-100 shot of NOS you'll be fine. Also NOS doesn't really need special tuning. Also it's extremely easy to install

Or you can find a nice V8 haha. Most Mercury mountaineers have the v8.

Good luck!!

My '01 ST with the 5 speed auto and 4:10 rear axel makes really good power. From around 30 MPH it might be faster to 60 MPH than any of my V8's, but I'd still rather have a 5.0L in it.

moddbox is currently selling a supercharger setup for our trucks. I believe the banshee kit is still available as well.

If you have the money and ability, forced induction is my recommendation the power I gained from my turbo project is pretty awesome at just 8lb boost. except some tuning to do still it took me about 6 months at a slow pace doing most of it myself.

Back