Increasing gas mileage... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Increasing gas mileage...

I've heard really bad stuff about using R.P in a daily driver, maybe it was their older oils but most guys I've talked to about R.P say it is missing a few additives and is not meant for normal driving, they say it'll run fine for awhile but then all hell breaks loose, its for balls to the wall and then park it in the garage.... again just what I've heard.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've heard really bad stuff about using R.P in a daily driver, maybe it was their older oils but most guys I've talked to about R.P say it is missing a few additives and is not meant for normal driving, they say it'll run fine for awhile but then all hell breaks loose, its for balls to the wall and then park it in the garage.... again just what I've heard.

Thanks! I'll have to look into that, I've never heard it. Might be some urban legend stuff tho.
It kinda sounds like when people were telling me not to buy a Glock because the plastic would melt in the sun! :eek:

If you find anything more on that, please post a link so we can check it out.

Here's some info on RP in a daily driver http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=o...gc.r_pw.&fp=3ece4bbf7ce578bb&biw=1255&bih=679

Liska, you need to calculate your mileage by hand and not trust the mileage indicator. Usually they are off by a decent amount.

21-22MPG is certainly obtainable, though! I got 21MPG going 800 miles up & back on I-81, averaging about 75MPH, A/C on the whole way, loaded with three passengers and a weeks worth of luggage. My information is in my signature, and I am confident that several of the mods in my list helped my mileage. I would think with slower speed and otherwise optimal conditions I could be a few more MPG out of it, too.

>>>>>>>>>>>
No offense taken. I found it hard to believe as well and I was looking at it!

They say you can also run it up to 12000 miles between changes.

They've been around for years and they also make gear oil, transmission fluid and a coolant additive. Here's a couple of links that may explain it better.>>>>>>>>>>

Underdog,

thanks for all the info on Royal Purple. I'll check out those web links you supplied. Some other questions though. What does Royal Purple cost per quart, if you happen to know, and is it okay to switch to a full synthetic oil in these Explorer Engines? Mine is the 2005 4.0L. I did my own oil change 2 months ago and I used Castrol High Mileage Partial Synthetic Oil, because thats what came up for my vehicle on the computer at Advance Auto Parts and I figured it is a better quality of oil than a standard type oil. I saw the computer screen myself after the parts guy typed in my year, make and engine size. The Haynes manual only mentions standard SAE oil for my vehicle. I doubt the 2 owners of my vehicle before me used a full synthetic oil because the first owner leased my truck for 3 years, not going to sink money into it as a lease vehicle and the 2nd owner couldn't afford the truck and it was repo'd from him less than a year after he bought it. 12,000 miles between oil changes would be about 2 or 2 1/2 years of driving for me, but I would need an oil filter to hold up that long, less I just changed the filter more often than the oil. If I used Royal Purple, I'd probably change the oil every 5,000 miles. Thanks again for the info.

>>>>>>>>>>>
No offense taken. I found it hard to believe as well and I was looking at it!

They say you can also run it up to 12000 miles between changes.

They've been around for years and they also make gear oil, transmission fluid and a coolant additive. Here's a couple of links that may explain it better.>>>>>>>>>>

Underdog,

thanks for all the info on Royal Purple. I'll check out those web links you supplied. Some other questions though. What does Royal Purple cost per quart, if you happen to know, and is it okay to switch to a full synthetic oil in these Explorer Engines? Mine is the 2005 4.0L. I did my own oil change 2 months ago and I used Castrol High Mileage Partial Synthetic Oil, because thats what came up for my vehicle on the computer at Advance Auto Parts and I figured it is a better quality of oil than a standard type oil. I saw the computer screen myself after the parts guy typed in my year, make and engine size. The Haynes manual only mentions standard SAE oil for my vehicle. I doubt the 2 owners of my vehicle before me used a full synthetic oil because the first owner leased my truck for 3 years, not going to sink money into it as a lease vehicle and the 2nd owner couldn't afford the truck and it was repo'd from him less than a year after he bought it. 12,000 miles between oil changes would be about 2 or 2 1/2 years of driving for me, but I would need an oil filter to hold up that long, less I just changed the filter more often than the oil. If I used Royal Purple, I'd probably change the oil every 5,000 miles. Thanks again for the info.

No trouble. I'm also running it in a 2005 4.0L and I'm the second owner. It's been running on dino oil for 5 years and 69K miles. Before I had it, it was a fleet vehicle in Utah. I'm sure it was abused in the 10K it was driven before me!

The RP 5W30 runs about $8 a quart. For the added benefits, it's worth it to me.
The filters are only available online for some reason. I will be ordering mine from Summit Racing. In the meantime I'm using the Moblie1 filter.

I think their FAQ can answer your other concerns http://www.royalpurple.com/rp-faqs.html

Still, don't take my or anyone's word for it. Do your research. You may find a product you like better than RP.

>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>

Before I had it, it was a fleet vehicle in Utah. I'm sure it was abused in the 10K it was driven before me!>>>>>>>>>>>>

I got my Ex with 82, 500 miles on it, but the truck was amazingly clean under the hood and the under body, no rust anywhere. I don't think the engine compartment was ever steamed clean or anything, but it is spotless and no leaks either. The truck started off near NY City, then wound up in Virginia, mild winters both places. Since I bought it, I had the under body professionally undercoated with an oil based undercoating "Rusty Jones". I'm going to have it done again before this winter. I want this truck to hold it's value when I re-sell it in 3-5 years because it will only have a little over 100K miles on it by then with how little I drive per year.

>>>>>>>>>>>The RP 5W30 runs about $8 a quart. For the added benefits, it's worth it to me.
The filters are only available online for some reason. I will be ordering mine from Summit Racing. In the meantime I'm using the Moblie1 filter.>>>>>>>>>>>

$8 a quart isn't much more than Mobil 1. I think Mobil 1 is around $7 a quart. The Castrol Partial Synthetic I used was $5.60 a quart.

>>>>>>>>>>>Still, don't take my or anyone's word for it. Do your research. You may find a product you like better than RP.
>>>>>>>>

I'll check it out for sure. I saw where someone else mentioned to you about problems someone had using RP, saying it is more for racing than daily driving. Thanks again.

Liska, you need to calculate your mileage by hand and not trust the mileage indicator. Usually they are off by a decent amount.

21-22MPG is certainly obtainable, though! I got 21MPG going 800 miles up & back on I-81, averaging about 75MPH, A/C on the whole way, loaded with three passengers and a weeks worth of luggage. My information is in my signature, and I am confident that several of the mods in my list helped my mileage. I would think with slower speed and otherwise optimal conditions I could be a few more MPG out of it, too.

How is best by hand to caluclate it? I am going off of the mileage tracker on top of my total mileage. I suck at math- god knows if i'll ever actually remember what constitutes a mile when i'm out there driving!

Thanks for the tips, too. This has turned into an interesting thread.

Total miles driven from last fillup divided by number of gallons refilled with.

Alternatively, you can use a site like Fuelly to keep track- that's what I do.

Total miles driven from last fillup divided by number of gallons refilled with.

Alternatively, you can use a site like Fuelly to keep track- that's what I do.

That's what I was doing, but was told that the mileage meter on the car is off usually. Just trying to figure out a different way! I'll check out the other site when I get home, and see if it makes any difference

That's what I was doing, but was told that the mileage meter on the car is off usually. Just trying to figure out a different way! I'll check out the other site when I get home, and see if it makes any difference

I misunderstood; I thought you were using the fuel economy reading from the message center. You are using the trip odometer, right? If that is the case, and you are dividing miles traveled by gallons added, then you are doing it right! Get the average over a few fill ups to be sure, but it sounds like you are a natural for driving "right." :cool:

Back