• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Indexing Spark Plugs on 5.0L?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

snocross1985

Explorer-less
Reaction score
City, State
Stratham, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
Ah, shoulda known. :D

Spindle, you are a genius

cherrybomb

Reaction score
City, State
Southern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB 5.0L (R.I.P)
aldive said:
Ideally you should also pick up some gas mileage. Let us know.

For you, and anyone else interested.

I've run about two tanks of gas through it since this tune-up with the indexed plugs.

While I don't have a very good highway miles test like you usually do Al, my daily commute is a constant. I drive a little over 3 miles each direction from my house to work and back, about 2/3 of which is on the freeway. I haven't deviated from that in the last two tanks.

On average, I'm still getting ~12mpg I could imply a .1 or .2 increase in mileage, but I'd say that's well within the margin for error.

So, on the mileage front, I'd say it's a wash.

As far as performance, the truck is definitely more responsive, and throttle response is better. I don't really think I picked up more power per say, but it's smoother, and more responsive.

All in all, not sure I'll index my plugs again, but it was a fun exercise.

Perhaps sometime later, I'll do a more scientific test, where I intentionally "index" the plugs toward the piston instead, and do a repeatable driving loop, then do the same again with plugs "indexed" toward the intake valve instead.

In theory, it seems like it would make a difference. But the old addage seems true here.

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is."

Edit: I remembered finding someone else who did a much more scientific test than me. If you're interested in reading it you can find it here

old mechanic

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
R.I.
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
cherrybomb said:
For you, and anyone else interested.

I've run about two tanks of gas through it since this tune-up with the indexed plugs.

While I don't have a very good highway miles test like you usually do Al, my daily commute is a constant. I drive a little over 3 miles each direction from my house to work and back, about 2/3 of which is on the freeway. I haven't deviated from that in the last two tanks.

On average, I'm still getting ~12mpg I could imply a .1 or .2 increase in mileage, but I'd say that's well within the margin for error.

So, on the mileage front, I'd say it's a wash.

As far as performance, the truck is definitely more responsive, and throttle response is better. I don't really think I picked up more power per say, but it's smoother, and more responsive.

All in all, not sure I'll index my plugs again, but it was a fun exercise.

Perhaps sometime later, I'll do a more scientific test, where I intentionally "index" the plugs toward the piston instead, and do a repeatable driving loop, then do the same again with plugs "indexed" toward the intake valve instead.

In theory, it seems like it would make a difference. But the old addage seems true here.

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is."

Edit: I remembered finding someone else who did a much more scientific test than me. If you're interested in reading it you can find it here
--------------
I do not doubt you but you are the first person (that I know of) that ever said they could feel the difference after indexing the plugs. I usually try to index the plugs but I can hardly see some of the plugs on my EX nevermind index them. :D

cherrybomb

Reaction score
City, State
Southern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB 5.0L (R.I.P)
Well, keep in mind I was also replacing quite possibly original wires and spark plugs. No doubt a large part of the improvment I felt had to do with that, rather than indexing the plugs.

Part of me wants to believe that my extra effort had some positive result though. :)

old mechanic

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
R.I.
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
cherrybomb said:
Well, keep in mind I was also replacing quite possibly original wires and spark plugs. No doubt a large part of the improvment I felt had to do with that, rather than indexing the plugs.

Part of me wants to believe that my extra effort had some positive result though. :)
-----------
OPPS! I didn't see the "tune up AND indexing". Wether its indexing or some other little thing we do, in the long run it all adds up to a better performing vehicle. :)