• Register Today It's free!

Indiglo Gauges

JMan93

Reaction score
City, State
Westford, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 4x4
I want to buy some indiglo gauges for my 93 X. The problem is i have heard that removing needles to put on new gauges is a bad idea. Can anybody help me?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most of the newer type indiglo guages slip over the needles. The faces flex.

I used the flex-face gauges but still found it better to remove the needles. (Positioning the faces was easier, and I decided to color the needles red, paint the stock black covers the same silver color as the gauge faces, and glue the faces down.) Removing them is very easy, just pry them off with a fork.

I found it easiest to take a picture of the needle positions while the truck was idle before removing them... Then just put them back on after you have positioned the new faces... First replace the tach needle (It is best to know that when you are at a certain RPM, you are travelling a certain speed - for me it was 2500 RPM = 75 MPH on the highway)... Then put the voltage, coolant temp, and oil pressure gauges back on, going by the pic you took. Go fill up your gas tank and replace the gas gauge needle (mine fluctuates too much, so I wanted to replace it when I knew I had a full tank), and then get on the road, get to your specific RPM so you know your speed, and pop the speedo needle back on. Then you're all set.

Any specs on how hard the gauges from procarparts.com are

I just put a set on from procarparts, they went on easy and look pretty good! I didnt pull the needles, they slip right over the needles no sweat.

Back