Inexpensive solution to Synthetic Oil? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Inexpensive solution to Synthetic Oil?

EasyRhino

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Kailua, Hawai'i
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Limited 4.6L 4x4
Only car I ever used synthetic oil in was my Cobra, but with 3000 mile change intervals, I am getting no wear-out problems with all my cars up through over 100,000 miles (at which point I ususally con't keep them) using dino oil.

The synthetic oil is just darned expensive.

This week I spotted a Synthetic Motorcraft 5W-20 (recommended for my Ex) at 1.99/quart.

Anybody know this oil? At 1.99/qt, I will go to this (and keep my 3000 mile change interval).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Motorcraft oil is a semi-synthetic blend. Not sure of the manufacturer. That price is a good buy compared to other semi-synthetics. (Mobil semi-syn is $2.25)

yes, I saw this

I was just at Wallymart 1/2 hr ago. They had the same thing you are asking about, but if you look carefully it is a synthetic blend, not a pure synthetic. As you know, there are many people on this board who are very passionate about their oil choices, so I will withhold my opinion except to say that it is probably okay to use and certainly meets all of the warranty requirements for your engine.

I did find a full synthetic marketed by Ford ($4.99 / qt qty 12) http://www.fordpartsnetwork.com/catalog/itemdisplay/359.html

However, you could buy AMSOIL XL-7500 for just $.11 more per quart ($5.10 qt qty12) from their online store http://intershop.amsoil.com/cgi-bin/Amsoil.storefront/3d71400202be6f08271cd1f0e3f00667/Catalog/1377

or the original AMSOIL 5w-30 for just $.61 more ($5.60 qt qty 12) http://intershop.amsoil.com/cgi-bin/Amsoil.storefront/3d71400202be6f08271cd1f0e3f00667/Catalog/1121

You can't get the AMSOil at Wallymart though. I'm using Valvoline Syn 5W-30 which is $4.31 at Wallymart, but I'm thinking about trying AMSOil in the future because it isn't that much more.

I no longer buy my oil (or anything else) at Wally world.... They have discontinued "used oil" dropoff... Wallmart used to have a very nice and convienent oil drop-off station out by the auto center. I asked the manager and he said that disposal was costing them too much and closing the station was a cost cutting measure... I then asked how they expect to SELL OIL when THEIR CUSTOMERS have no place to RESPONSIBILY dispose of the oil? The response was "that is not my concern". My response is I will pay the extra couple of dollars TO PEPBOYS for oil BECAUSE THEY WILL accept my used oil.

I have also encouraged Pepboys to require a reciept showing that the oil was purchased at Pepboys so they can continue the used oil disposal service....

I sent an email to Wally World expressing the above issues (included address and phone number) but have not had ANY response....

:(

The 3k change interval had been shown to be way too conservative. Take a look at this thread Dead Link Removed

I am at almost 10k on Amsoil 5w30 with a good oil analysis report at 7/5k. I plan to go 15k.

How much does it cost for an oil analysis report?

Originally posted by 99explorer5.0
How much does it cost for an oil analysis report?

Retail price is $19,95.

I get mine from AgExplorer, an Amsoil dealer. He gives a reduced price.

I hope you get it for a huge discount. It costs just about half an oil change to get that report at regular price. I would rather just spend that money towards a oil change with fresh oil.:confused:

I am an every 3000 miles guy as well. I run the Motorcraft full synthetic, and have since change my interval for 5000 miles. I also look at it as cheap insurance.

--Sean

DesertSpive what do you see as cheap insurance? Do you get your oil tested for $19.99 before you change it? I belive that is what Aldive was referring to when he was talking about cheap insurance.

Back