Info and opnions on the 91-94 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Info and opnions on the 91-94 Explorer

JDLCA

Reaction score
City, State
La Puente, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey guys,

So I'm driving a 1991 Mercedes Benz 300E, always been an old Mercedes guy, we have 3 other ones in our stable, however, I have always loved the 91-94 Explorers ever since I was a kid and saw Jurassic Park, my dream would be to convert one into a Jurassic Park tour vehicle, but that's far down the road.

Any who, I am attending community college here in California but plan on transferring to Fairbanks, Alaska next year in the fall. I was going to take my trusty 300E up with me but she's at 217,000 miles and going to be needing a new head gasket soon which is common on these at this mileage, I know the car would be fine up there, but I'm thinking maybe this my chance to finally get my explorer and something with 4x4 which would be awesome in the snow compared to my 2 wheel drive open differential 300E. I want a manual trans but I was reading that there is a design flaw that allows them to leak fluid? I was browsing Craigslist and found multiple ones which were prefect, manual transmission and 4x4 and for like 900-700$! My question is though what should I be looking at when I go see them? These cars are so foreign to me, I know what to look at with the older Mercs but an explorer I don't know.. What tends to be a common issue with these? Would y'all say that one with high mileage is still pretty reliable for the drive up to Alaska? (of course depending on the condition)

I'm sad in part because I'll probably have to sell my 300E who has been my baby since 2009 but I really want an explorer and think it would be more practical for the snow and Alaska in general than my 300... Any advice, info and tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :thumbsup::exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am originally from Alaska and drove my 94 Explorer from there to Arkansas a few years back. I've owned several 91-94 Explorers.

The 91-94 Explorer is a very solid vehicle. A lot of them are abused, however, so find one that has been well kept and maintained. An Alaskan rig will likely still have good paint and weatherstrip though, the climate is easy on them in that regard. Do watch out for rust though. The rocker panels are the main spots that rust.

There are two main weaknesses.
1. Stock cylinder heads on the motor are defective casting and usually develop small cracks, often before 100K miles. It's never "just a head gasket", the only permanent fix is a new set of aftermarket (not remanufactured) cylinder heads. The rest of the motor is good for 500k miles. Try to find out if the heads have been replaced and check casting numbers. Valvetrain wear is common resulting in valvetrain noise but does not hurt the motor. 93-94 models have a little more power, but also have a couple more sensors to maintain.
2. Transmission. The manual trans (M5OD) is a safe bet and while not heavy duty will last a long time if not abused. The automatic trans (A4LD) is under-cooled for most climates but in Alaska they last longer. The stock cooler is not adequate for southern states and stop-and-go traffic will quickly overheat the trans. The transmission is not strong enough for towing beyond very light trailers. If you find a good transmission that hasn't yet been rebuilt (look for under 160k miles) you can extend its lifespan with an improved fluid cooler, add a shift correction kit and Sonnax upgrades, and monitor it with a trans temp gauge. PATC in Texas makes an upgraded complete transmission and sells individual upgrades, and TransmissionPartsUSA.com sells all the necessary parts to service and upgrade it yourself. You can do a valve body rebuild and do upgrades yourself, and it's not hard. The transmission had the most factory upgrades in 94, so 94 is the best year in terms of transmission. Keep in mind that many transmission shops don't know how to rebuild the A4LD worth a damn; I have never had a good experience with a rebuilt A4LD.

The 4.0 motor is reliable and has good torque. It does not make a lot of horsepower but will run forever. Do not expect to tow with it or win races. The Sport/2-door models can move pretty quick if they are low power option models, due to the lighter weight. There are not a whole lot of performance parts for the 4.0 but there are some such as headers and cams. It will take some money to make the 4.0 produce more power but the key benefit of this motor is reliability. The cooling system is reliable. The fuel injection system is reliable as well, though it is OBD-I (EEC-IV) so don't expect advanced diagnostic support. Fuel economy typically ranges from 14-18mpg depending on vehicle weight and driving habits. My 94 2dr 4x4 gets 16mpg no matter what.

Do check if the fuel pump has been replaced on a high mileage Explorer. The stock pump can last a long time or a short time, depending on the habits of the previous owners. Regular fuel filter replacement and keeping the fuel level above 1/4 is best for pump lifespan. If the fuel filter isn't ever changed and the truck is often running on fumes (the pump is cooled by the fuel it is submerged in) then the pump won't last.

The suspension design is solid. Clunky suspensions are usually radius arm bushings, which are not a hard fix, though on some models you may have to remove some frame bracket rivets and replace them with bolts. A cheap fix. The rear suspension design generally needs no maintenance.

Rear axles are a strong 8.8 design, with factory limited slip differentials on many models. Several axle ratios were available so check the door tag for the axle code when buying an Explorer; higher ratios such as 3.73-equipped models will be easier on the transmission than 3.27 or 3.08 models. Front axles are a TTB (Twin Torsion Beam, a cross between solid axle and IFS) Dana 35 with Dana 44 parts. Front axles are very strong. Factory manual locking hubs are made by Warn and very strong. Factory automatic locking hubs are weak and often are broken, but for around $200 you can put new strong manual locking hubs on.

Transfer cases are the Borg Warner 13-54, available in lever shift and electronic shift. Both transfer cases are very strong and should last the life of the vehicle. The lever shift model has no weakness, though some high mileage models can wear out the shift pads which requires replacement (not hard to do). This is evidenced by a grinding noise from the transfer case. Electronic (push-button) shift models are more common and don't have this issue, but the shift motor has a stop bushing that deteriorates over time. The failure of this bushing causes the transfer case to get stuck in 2WD usually, with the shift buttons having no effect. It is easy to access and rebuild - if you can rebuild a power window motor, you can rebuild the shift motor. The bushing can be made out of a small chunk of tubing.

93-94 models are usually equipped with R-134a refrigerant air conditioning. If the system needs service then you don't need to change much. The 91-92 models use R-12 refrigerant, so if the AC is nonfunctional it may need to be retrofitted with all new gaskets and compressor to accept the R-134a refrigerant (R-12 is not sold now).

Steering components usually last a long time on these trucks. The steering box is a standard Ford unit as is used in full size pickups. It has an adjuster that can take some slack out of the steering. They seem to respond best to the use of Ford Type F transmission fluid. You can use standard power steering fluid, but it tends to leak more.

Electrical systems on these trucks are very reliable and wiring doesn't have issues. However, the battery cables can develop internal corrosion leading to no-start issues. It is an easy fix and not real expensive. Power windows that don't work are usually due to crumbled window regulator bushings, which are in the window motor. They are inexpensive and not hard to replace, takes about 20-30 minutes per window.

Parts for the Explorer are very affordable and readily available. It is getting harder to find Explorers in junkyards so don't expect to easily find replacements for damaged interior parts. Ebay has some though, and the more common ones like door handles are still produced.

Expect to pay between $1000 and $2000 for a good Explorer. They don't hold a high value due to their age and the whole "rollover controversy" which was mostly BS. With a few preventative fixes, these trucks are tough as nails and very practical. 4-door models are easy to drive and hold a lot of cargo, 2-door models can be VERY fun to drive in snow/ice and are a bit quicker. I will say that my 2-door 4x4 model is still the best winter vehicle I've driven. It is capable on and off-road, and on ice/snow something about the wheelbase makes it a perfect handling vehicle that you can hang the tail out if you want and powerslide with ease and control. Even on dry pavement the 2-door models can really corner with the right shocks/springs/tires.

They are great vehicles with a few potential issues. By wanting one with a manual, you avoid the woes of the auto. They are ok if they weren't abused and were well cared for, but the manual gives you nore durability for towing and/or offroading. Good choice.

Make sure the 4x4 system is in good order. The manual 4x4 is less of a headache, but rare. Most were push-button. Mine works fine, but I've heard of some issues. A lot of the time, they were neglected or improperly used. Do not use the 4x4 unless in low traction situations.

The 93 and up Ex's have slightly better heads. Other than that, not much difference in the engine. They are usually very durable if cared for properly.

Common issues with these are usually from high miles and lack of maitenance. You might hear the valves ticking from wear, but that isn't usually major and can be fixed. It can be avoided with proper oil changes (use 5w-30). Ball joints and radius arm bushings may need replacing too if you hear a clunk while turning.

Overall, I love these things. Easy to work on, easy to find parts for, and I like the styling. Just make sure you get one that was taken care of. My dad had one that went for over 500k miles and still ran like silk when he got rid of it. 3rd gear went out on it (automatic transmission).

If you are driving any Explorer from Cali to Alaska, here's the minimum things I would do (spoken from experience).

-Make sure your fuel pump is up to the task. They tend to fail on long trips if they're going to. Don't cheap out on a fuel pump if you buy one, get a Motorcraft.
-Monitor the trans temperature. I overheated my transmission during my trip because I was pushing it too hard through the mountains. Install a trans temp gauge in the pan. Adding an aftermarket trans cooler to supplement the factory one is a good plan.
-Hopefully before the trip you'll know how reliable your truck is; see cylinder heads mentioned in my previous post.
-Don't freak out if you stop during the trip, restart the truck and it stumbles and misfires and sputters. Old fuel injectors can get sticky when hot and mine has done this since 2009 on long trips - I put the truck in gear, drive out of the parking lot and it settles down and acts right.
-Bring a spare MAF (mass airflow sensor) as it is the most important sensor on the truck. I had one fail on my trip, though it gave me plenty of advance warning before it died completely. You can disconnect it if it fails and safely drive to a parts store though, as the PCM will revert to a speed density fuel metering strategy (at expense of driveability, fuel economy).

Thank you guys for the replies I really appreciate it, especially for the detailed one you wrote arco, lots of great information that I will definitely keep in mind and it's really good to know you already have done the same trip in one of these.

I plan on buying the it down here and driving to Oregon, Arizona or even Idaho if I find the one I want. I've seen only one with the floor shift 4x4 on all the cities I've searched so I can see how it is rare. I'll probably be buying late this year when I have the money saved up, which I guess gives me time to figure out the certain specifications to consider.

It is so nice to hear that the wiring is usually rock solid on these, on these older Mercedes they can sometimes give you a real hard time because the harness material they used was biodegradable and boy does it degrade after time! It's another reason why I think the Explorer is a better choice up in Fairbanks, since parts are more assessable and lower priced rather than having to find Mercedes ones.

Thank you again guys for the replies, I will keep all information with me that you put, planning on printing the thread to keep with me until I'm ready to buy. :D :thumbsup:

Not much that I can add to the above posts, arco pretty much nailed it. My suggestion would be to find one with a 3.73 limited slip rear end. They are so nice in the snow, mud and gravel. Sure, you can slap a locker in but with a working limited slip, it's less often you have to put it in 4x4 and when you do, it's difficult to lose control :)

You'd probably be best off with a 94 since they matured with the newer heads, should have 4-wheel ABS and a few other things.

My advice would be that before you get up to Alaska, take a look at the drivetrain with more attention to the front. Swap in manual hubs, check the u-joints (replace them if it's in your budget), lube the slip joints, replace the spindle bearings and swap in synthetic gear lube. That would be a good time to check your steering, all the joints and at least lube them. Also would be a good idea to drain the transfer case and get some synthetic ATF in there. Then you'd have a very reliable drivetrain and could depend on it when things get nasty.

Personally, I wouldn't avoid an automatic (I have no desire to shift a manual, even if it is more reliable). As long as it's been maintained, had a fluid change in the last 50,000 miles, and shifts perfectly fine.

I have had 3 first generation explorers.

1) 92 2wd 4 door 5 speed 3.27 rear end.
This truck did everything I ever wanted it to do and more.
I put almost 40k miles on it in 3.5 years of hard city stop and go pizza delivery and long road trips. I scrapped this one because it wasn't 4wd, and when it snows in Oklahoma you need 4wd to get down the county roads.

2) 91 4 door 4x4 5 speed 3.55 rear end. I never drove this truck because I found frame damage after repairing sheet metal from a drunk driving accident.

3) 93 sport (2 door) 5 speed 4x4. I found this one by chance on Craigslist as a title issue for 800 dollars. After some digging, the title was found and I own it.

This truck came with a 5 speed transmission and manual hubs. I just recently (as in a few days ago) swapped in a manual transfer case for reliability in case I need it.

I have never driven a first generation automatic transmission because I have read and seen the horror stories about them.

Most of the junked 1st gen trucks I find are automatic. I don't know if this is coincidence or just bad luck.

If I was to buy another one I would buy another 2 door model. However, if you have young kids the 4 door comes in very handy, mine are old enough to crawl back there.

I don't know about California trucks, but the other 49 state trucks late 93-94 has Egr valve (can be a pain at times).

91- early 92 model have one oxygen sensor no egr valve.

Mid 92 -early 93 has 2 oxygen sensor and no egr valve.

i got my barn find from oregon, 130,x.. rebuilt top end, and NO rust. swaped the A4LD for the M5OD. been a great DD. although one thing a havent seen in anyone else post is the auto front auto hubs are known the be weak, rocking the truck out of a hole is bad, bad, bad.

I have had 3 first generation explorers.

1) 92 2wd 4 door 5 speed 3.27 rear end.
This truck did everything I ever wanted it to do and more.
I put almost 40k miles on it in 3.5 years of hard city stop and go pizza delivery and long road trips. I scrapped this one because it wasn't 4wd, and when it snows in Oklahoma you need 4wd to get down the county roads.

2) 91 4 door 4x4 5 speed 3.55 rear end. I never drove this truck because I found frame damage after repairing sheet metal from a drunk driving accident.

3) 93 sport (2 door) 5 speed 4x4. I found this one by chance on Craigslist as a title issue for 800 dollars. After some digging, the title was found and I own it.

This truck came with a 5 speed transmission and manual hubs. I just recently (as in a few days ago) swapped in a manual transfer case for reliability in case I need it.

I have never driven a first generation automatic transmission because I have read and seen the horror stories about them.

Most of the junked 1st gen trucks I find are automatic. I don't know if this is coincidence or just bad luck.

If I was to buy another one I would buy another 2 door model. However, if you have young kids the 4 door comes in very handy, mine are old enough to crawl back there.

Just to kind of add on to what you have said, one thing is the A4LD auto is not as bad as many make them out to be. I have one right now that has 215k miles on it and it works fine. The ones that go out in under 100k I would bet have the original fluid in them. All I have ever done to that tranny is change the fluid. I drive on and off road, as well as tow a lot, they can be reliable.

As for your post about EGR, I really hate the design on these. The ford engineers that designed the system must have been smoking the egr exhaust. It lasts a while, but I always ended up deleting it. Its technically not legal, but there is often no choice. They used a big fitting to screw the egr tube into the exhaust manifold. That ends up welded in, so when the tube rusts out, you cant fix it. The tube itself is way too thin, and rusts out in no time. The EGR valve doesn't last all that long, and there are other components that can... I'm just going to stop. The EGR is probably my biggest problem with these vehicles. Other than that, I love them. I'm actually more of a chevy guy, but I do love these first gen explorers.

I have had 5 Explorers and never an issue with the EGR. It seems some states the systems rust out badly but not in the states I have lived in.

I also agree the A4LD can be a reasonably reliable transmission. You have to get one that hasn't been abused, well maintained and low mileage. Preventative maintenance, aftermarket cooling and shift upgrades will make it last a long time.

The thing with the A4LD is that it's a light duty transmission. The 4.0 in the Explorer is the largest engine Ford ever mated with the A4LD and in a 4x4 SUV no less. People offroad with them in stock form, tow in OD, never change the fluid, and generally abuse them and they break down.

I feel it takes a more mechanically-inclined person to drive a manual transmission. You're aware of what's going on, when to downshift, load on the engine, things like that. People that get automatics don't tend to listen to the vehicle and be aware of what's going on. I think the A4LD was setup for failure in these Explorers.

I have had 5 Explorers and never an issue with the EGR. It seems some states the systems rust out badly but not in the states I have lived in.

I also agree the A4LD can be a reasonably reliable transmission. You have to get one that hasn't been abused, well maintained and low mileage. Preventative maintenance, aftermarket cooling and shift upgrades will make it last a long time.

Interesting. I have only ever lived in MN, and every one has failed for me. I also have always had high mileage vehicles. I did manage to replace the egr tube on one once. It took me a wholeday with a torch just to get that bottom fitting out, and a week to order the 22mm tap because the hole was ruined. After wrestling it back in, the new tube lasted 2 years before it cracked where it bends, and one of the connections for the dpfe broke off. I deleted the EGR on my current truck, and will never have to worry about it again.

As far as the A4LD, I never had any upgrades to either one, and never upgraded the cooling. It could be the way I drive, I certainly don't baby them. I've towed a full size truck on a car trailer with mine. I do make it a point to keep from shifting. I let off the gas when going up hills, and put it in neutral when stopped at a light or in traffic. I'm betting that's one thing people don't do, and its the fastest way to kill an auto transmission. Sitting still on a hot day in traffic in gear. Now the 5 speeds that came in second gens, those are funky. The one in our 2000 hasn't failed yet, but it never worked right. The thing I like about the A4LD is it seems to really lock into gear. You know when it shifts. The 5R55E always feels like its slipping. It feels smoother, which I would guess people like, but it doesn't feel right to me. The M5OD I have in my new DD seems solid for the miles. Everything I read about them is the slave cylinder is set to fail, and mine is no exception. It can shift weird, but I usually don't have a problem. Usually if I drive it like its a tractor, it has no problem.

One thing that is surprisingly good is how good they are off road. These first gen's have a part time 4x4 transfer case, none of that auto crap newer ones have. Many have a LS rear diff, but I'm pretty sure the dana 35 up front is open. It is very balanced front and rear, and handles pretty well.

The 4 door and 5 speed manual combo is very rare, most of the manuals were in the 2 door sport models.

One HUGE plus for these, that you will especially appreciate in Alaska is that you can find parts for these everywhere and for cheap. Lots of these smaller ford trucks parts interchange.

I am the mechanically inclined type.

My hate forautomatics came from the Army. Everything was so anyone could drive. I have had more bad luck from an automatic transmission than a manual transmission.

I have had my fair share of both and almost every automatic I had there was an issue somewhere. I have had two fords with an automatic and that was a gen 2 explorer, and a 78 thunderbird.

I guess it comes down to that I like to shift gears. I like to be in control of the engine and how to make it work for me.

I guess it comes down to that I like to shift gears. I like to be in control of the engine and how to make it work for me.

While I'm mechanically inclined (but not a mechanic), I use cars for transport and maybe I'm just lazy but I don't want to have to shift in a car. I don't live in the city but I do live where there's a lot of hills and much like the city driving, you'd be shifting all the time. If my Explorer was a pure offroad play toy, I'd probably go manual for reliability and control but for me, automatic is less hassle and I don't mind fluid changes.

2 things that will greatly help an automatic are supplemental cooling and filtering. The internal filter in the A4LD is pretty much window screen, it'll let all the fine debris right through.

Good to know that there is hope for the A4LD.

I live in the country, and I have to drive through a major city (Oklahoma City) to get to work. Granted it is interstate traffic so stopping is kind of rare.

I have driven a standard transmission in a bunch of major cities, so I guess you get used to it. Then again, I also drive a tractor trailer for work, so it is second nature for me in dealing with traffic using a manual transmission.

It's a good real SUV, but I'll be honest & say I won't be getting another.
Most 1st gens I have seen in my area are TRASHED. Have to accept they are 20+ years old. While my current one is great & runs great, I can fix most anything mechanically on it, the body is starting to go. I don't have the time tools or space to fix it. I can get a late 2nd gen & even 3rd gens for $5K or under. The biggest problem I have been finding in getting a replacement is the manual trans. I want one & not the auto & they are no where to be found in my area.

Aye, the Explorers fell victim to the 'cash for clunkers' lead balloon of an idea.

Back