Info Needed - Rear Gas Tank in 2nd Gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Info Needed - Rear Gas Tank in 2nd Gen

Because of some future rear suspension modifications I'm planning out, I'm looking into this as a possible solution. I know some people have used the Bronco 2 tank, some the E-150 tank, and I'm sure some other tanks have been used as well. I haven't found all the info I'm looking for, and I have a few thoughts/concerns, so here goes.

Anyone in California done it on a street-driven Explorer, and have you had good or bad experiences with smog checks? Any issues using a tank from an OBD1 vehicle in my OBD2 vehicle? It's very important to me to be able to do a regular smog check without worry. Mechanically I would use all stock smog equipment, but visually there's the potential for failure.

I know some people have done it with a body lift, or say that rear floor modifications are required. Aside from some minor cutting that may be necessary for the fuel filler, I do not want to cut into the floor in the trunk area.

How is clearance to the rear axle once the tank is mounted? I plan to relocate my rear axle 2-3" further back so I'd like to know that there's enough room to do so. Stock shock mounting location is not a concern obviously with the axle moved back.

I've seen pictures of an E-150 tank in place on a 2" body lifted Explorer, and the tank barely hangs below the frame. I do not have a body lift, so it would hang lower for me, but I think a stout skid plate would solve for that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Subscribing.

I'm going run into the same issue when I do 4link, coilovers and 10.5 Sterling in the rear of the Navajo.

I have a old f150 rear tank I may try to use, but we'll see.

Bump

To the top...

Having dealt with the Smog referee in Alameda (I see mounty71 your not far from me), in California:

There used to be a 800 hotline you could call with questions, and they would refer you to an Smog Referee for answers.

Ask the Ref > Home
or
(800) 622-7733

OBD1 vehicles/engines need only the computer and whatever smog sensors on the engine, and a Check Engine light in the dash, and a CARB certified OBD1 compliant Catalytic Converter.
OBDII engines/vehicles need a ******* list. This assumes the new engine NEVER came in that model year. You also CANNOT put a truck engine into a auto - or vis-a-versa.

You'll need:

OBDII compliant speed sensor (or complete transmission), the transmission has been OBDII certified for that engine, the complete EVAP system, the complete OBDII gas tank (no modifying a non-OBDII gas tank, it must be factory certified), CARB certified OBDII catalytic converters the same distance from the engine, all O2 sensors (pre cat and after cat), the OBDII EECM.

You cannot put an OBDI engine into an OBDII vehicle. You must use an OBDII engine.
You can put an OBDII engine into an OBD1 vehicle, you do not have to use the OBDII sensors, but you cannot have the Check Engine light on.

When I wanted to put the 2l in my Sammy, this is what caused me to sell it... I could never get it street legal with the 2l, because all the changes need (the Vitara gas tank did not fit in the samurai frame, wrong transmission, wrong speed sensor, EVAP did not fit either)

Well since my car is OBD 2 and everything else is smog legal, a tank from the newer E150 vans sounds like the way to go.

Back