• Register Today It's free!

Info on 2006 stereo pinout re:VSS

shaker1

Reaction score
City, State
Algonquin, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT 4X4 4.0
I have a Pioneer AVIC F900BT and am preparing to connect it's wiring harness to the OEM (non premium stereo) plug via a Scosche FD23B harness adapter. The color codes on the Pioneer are a direct match for the Scosche harness adapter.

The Pioneer has a pink "vehicle speed sensor wire" and the Scosche harness has a (yet unidentified ) pink wire also. Is the pink wire on the Scosche harness the correct one for the vehicle speed sensor?

In other words, is there a corresponding wire in the OEM Stereo harness that goes to the VSS signal at the PCM (pin #1 purple/orange). Or do I need to run the Pioneer wire to the PCM 50 pin plug directly?

Also, there is a green wire that is supposed to go to the parking brake. I assume to prevent using the DVD while moving. Does this wire receive GRD when the parking brake is applied?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, Yes I saw that and will apply the "fix". Still unclear why both the parking brake (green wire) needs to be grounded and the second wire (yellow/Black) needs to be relocated and grounded. I would assume that grounding the PB wire allows DVD operation on the move and that grounding the relocated yellow/black is for entering nav data while moving!?

Still wondering if connecting the pink VSS wire to the pink wire on the Scosche harness will satisfy the VSS requirement or I need to run the VSS wire to the PCM pin #1?

Update: Ok, I found this on avic411.com, it seems I can avoid splicing into the factory wire after all!

"Well got it all put in. My Factory radio harness on my truck had a grey wire with black stripe just like the one listed in another post I read. Once I got to looking at it...I noticed that wire''s location on the factory harness plugged into a spot with a pink wire on the Scosche Wiring Harness I ordered. And the Vehicle Speed Sensor wire on the AVIC-D3 is pink. So I looked it up and thats the one it needed to be hooked to. So the pink wire from the radio connects to the pink wire on the Aftermarket harness. Then when you plug the harness to the factory harness its good to go."

Speed Sense 2 VIOLET/ORANGE (AC) AT PCM MODULE ON PASSENGER SIDE FIREWALL BLACK 50 PIN PLUG PIN 1

or also:

The VSS wire is also found at the windshield wiper motor, pin 4.

there may be a gray/black (factory side of the wiring harness) b behind the radio that can be VSS

Speed Sense 2 VIOLET/ORANGE (AC) AT PCM MODULE ON PASSENGER SIDE FIREWALL BLACK 50 PIN PLUG PIN 1

Thanks Kelly, that is what I learned.

It seems there is also a Grey/Black wire at the stereo harness (pink on the Scosche) that is used for speed sensitive volume and some folks are using that. But, I haven't been able to verify that it really works.

or also:

The VSS wire is also found at the windshield wiper motor, pin 4.

there may be a gray/black (factory side of the wiring harness) b behind the radio that can be VSS

Oops, missed this when I posted my reply. Thanks again.

Anyone put the GPS antenna behind the radio somewhere. Is it working OK?

Back