Info on dealerships in CA area | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Info on dealerships in CA area

jssong

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
I plan on selling my truck within the next few months, and then moving out to LA for grad school. I want to get a 03 or 04 gt or mach 1. i know rick and jdraper bought the mach 1s. i was wondering if anyone in the CA area have noticed the dark grey mach 1 or gt on dealership lots. Im trying to decide if i want to buy a mustang out here in NY, and drive or ship it out there, or buy it there. most of the gt prices are in the low to mid 20s, and the mach 1s are mid to high 20's.

what do you guys recommend i do? buy here in ny, or buy down there?
if you notice any good deals, id really appreciate some info. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is sales tax more in cali or there???? if u buy it there and pay tax there than drive it here it might be cheaper.

a GT here is about 25k and a Mach 1 is about 29k. There are plenty out here though. I bet I could find 5-6 mach 1's in that color on a lot with in a 10-15 mile radius if not more

id liek to go on a cross country trip, and i am even considering taking my truck out there, go for the drive, then sell the truck there or trade it in. i only have 38000 miles now, and ill only have 42000 or so if i drive it out there. and for a january 2000 vehicle, 42k isnt too bad. anyone else have any ideas or suggestions?

Take a look at the CA DMV site before you make a decision. CA has very strict laws about bringing a vehicle in that is not CA emissions certified. If it has 49 states emissions certification, it may be very hard, if not impossible to register here. I think this applies to vehicles up to two years old. As for the sales tax, you may have to pay the difference between what tax you paid out in MY and what you should have paid in LA (which is 8.25% I believe). Obviously, you can get around all this if you keep the car registered in NY, but then you'd be subject to whatever laws NY has regarding inspections, etc. each year you renew your registration. Anyway, look at www.dmv.ca.gov for info.

Mike

i believe alot of the cars in ny have the california emissions package at no charge. ill have to make sure it has it. i know all the mustangs i have seen so far have the california emission package. thanks for the info though. i think ny is just as strict as ca anyways.

Back