Info on trailer elec hookup to 97 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Info on trailer elec hookup to 97 XLT

Gerard

Reaction score
City, State
Newark, DE
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Hello group, I have a 97 XLT/ 4x4/4dr/4.0 SOHC. It did not come with the tow package, but the window sticker said "trailer tow prep". What did the tow package provide? What does tow prep mean? What do I need to tie a 5wire trailer (separate brake light wire) into this vehicle. I called a local Hidden hitch dealer who seemed very knowlegeable on my vehicle & he stated 97 was the worst year for trailer hookup. I would need to run a pwr wire direct from the battery & install a converter to protect the vehicle electronics. The Ford dealer says there is a harness available. But will that connect to my vehicle without the tow package? Also this Ford harness is 4pin & I am running a 5pin trailer. Anyone been there/ done that on this year vehicle? Thank you, Gerry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have to agree that 97 is confusing, mine said towing prep also, the wiring diagram shows that there should be a harness in the back tucked under the bumber but there definatly isn't. I just tapped in using one of those "Hoppy" things. Don't know what trailer prep'd is if it doesn't have the harness, but I do hear the relays clicking when I use the signals, probuble another Ford Flubber.
Also had to run a 12V wire from the front to the back along with the brake control wire.

Kurt
97 Sport

I have a 97 Mountaineer and what I bought cost about $15 from NAPA. All I had to do to install it was remove the left tail light unplug the harness that runs to the right tail light, plug the trailer harness into the factory harness and ground the trailer harness. The whole process should take a 1/2 hour or less.

Whoops! I did not realise you said a 5 wire plug. Mine is only a 4 wire.

I did the same as you Dan, but it does put the load of the trailer lights on the vehicles lighting, it does not use the exsisting trailer lighting relays that I can't figure out where they are wired to.....I think that Ford goofed and didn't complete the wiring in 97'

:eek:

Back