Info on Vacuum Hose Tree

pheby1

Reaction score
City, State
Willowbeach, Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer
I have a 1994 Ford Explorer XLT.
The vacuum lines on the tree, had swollen, as the truck had been parked for awhile when i bought it.
A couple of lines had come off, so I replaced them.
The check engine light had been coming on along with terrible gas mileage..as well upon hard acceleration, there is obvious engine ping.
I'm hoping this is all a result of some hoses being re-connected improperly.
Anyone have some "idiot proof" description of what hose goes where.
So I can be sure they are connected properly?
I'd appreciate any help, or advice!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump - vacuum tree diagram requested

Went to start the x on friday afterwork, it revved high and quit; did these 3 times; started it again and it will keep going as long as I kept revving it up but heard "hissing" sound from engine. Popped hood. ALL the hoses have popped off the vacuum tree on the upper intake manifold. At least 2 have came off whatever they were connected to. If anyone can tell us exactly what hose goes where on the tree (or if it even matters where it goes on the tree) and to what it is connected to off the tree it would be mucho appreciated. Hanes manual has nothing on this. A diagram would outstanding.

Problem is the beast is at stuck at work so I'm trying to figure this out at home without access to it. I got my fingers crossed there is diagram when I pop the hood.

The attachment is from a 91 Mazda Navajo from the emission sticker.
The manifold vacuum is on the back of the upper manifold on the driver side and have the following hoses:
Brake booster (also check the grommet on the booster itself)
A/CL BiMet - One of two hoses attached to the aircleaner on the passenger side (Brittle plastic)
FPR - Fuel Pressure Regulator on the fuel rail (Brittle Plastic)
Coming out of the upper manifold is a hose that goes to the PCV on the valve cover.

Not shown (probably because it's not part of the emissions)is a line that goes over to a vacuum tank on the passenger side and seems to have something to do with the environmental controls. Mine is broke so I have capped off the hole on the vacuum manifild. The end cap from a Bic pen fits perfectly.
Hope this helps.

Forgot picture of emission sticker

Attachments

• Vac Man.JPG
    Vac Man.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 765

Shamaal - thanks a million. I'll let you know the end result.

It was indeed the vacuum modulator at the transmission that went bad. Unfortunately, while the beast sat unattended at the work parking lot over Memorial Day weekend some punks busted into it. Only thing they got was the radio faceplate. Idiot me for leaving it in there. Had to bite the bullet on the repair though and had it towed to a shop. It was one of those things where paying for the labor beat out trying to repair on own in 112+ Phoenix heat. Thanks, shamaal and pheby1, for the knowledge though.

Back