Infor on oil pressure switch for gauge on 95 explorer | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Infor on oil pressure switch for gauge on 95 explorer

Pete Deering

Reaction score
City, State
New England
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 xlt 4 door 4x4
I just replaced the oil pressure switch for the gauge. I used motorcraft SW-2220 (E9SZ-9278A). Torque 12 -18 ft/#(FSM).
I used a oil pressure switch socket(from autozone).
What I checked before replacement, Is how it worked. Result are: if I grounded the wire the gauge showed 1/2 way on the gauge. If the wire is unconnected ( open), the gauge was below the L. The location of the switch on the 4.0L OHV engine is below the power steering pump on the Driver side of the engine. I removed the the mud flap and driver side front wheel. Easy access. The gauge wire just slips on.

Runnin'OnEmpty

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Southeast USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
I just replaced the oil pressure switch for the gauge. I used motorcraft SW-2220 (E9SZ-9278A). Torque 12 -18 ft/#(FSM).
I used a oil pressure switch socket(from autozone).
What I checked before replacement, Is how it worked. Result are: if I grounded the wire the gauge showed 1/2 way on the gauge. If the wire is unconnected ( open), the gauge was below the L. The location of the switch on the 4.0L OHV engine is below the power steering pump on the Driver side of the engine. I removed the the mud flap and driver side front wheel. Easy access. The gauge wire just slips on.
Good idea about accessing it through the fenderwell. I've replaced 3 of these now on my two Sports. They seem to fail regularly. One started to drop/rise when I was many miles from home, kinda scary...