• Register Today It's free!

Injector Havoc.. 98 OHV 4.0

Midwest Dually

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Limited
Not really a question or looking for help, but more of a story to share and hopefully a tip!

After undergoing long and intensive troubleshooting to my miss and hesitation under load, I discovered that my #2 injector was bad. In running all my tests it was time to replace the injector on my 98 4.0 OHV Sport (66,000 miles). The upper intake manifold was a trick with the EGR tube once I unhooked everything else. But it did come out nicely. The trick came in removing the fuel rail and re-installing it afterwards!

It unbolted nicely and with some wiggling it lifted up! Some of the injectors remain stuck to the lower intake, while some stuck to the rail. After swapping out my dead injector for my new one I fussed with getting the injectors back into the correct locations and bolting the fuel rail back on! It was a nightmare! Once it was torqued down, I put everything else back on. In going to start it up, it cranked and stumbled then fired. To be expected was the air in the lines. Needless to say it ran fair. But it was pouring gas all over the ground!

After removing everything all over again, I discovered that the other injectors O-rings were rotted and coming apart. In the first removal, they began to separate, and re-using them was not happening. Fortunately my discovery came early enough in the day that I was able to make it to the parts store to buy the $1.50 an injector fix... Even after running out of gas halfway there! Whew! LOL!

Moral to the story, even with low miles, once those injectors are removed, its a good idea to fork out the $10 for O-rings, oil them, and install them once you are done! :)

Back