Injector issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Injector issues

Gotdecibels

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 explorer 4.0 sohc
I just got done reassembling my 97 exporer 4.0 sohc after replacing intake gaskets and injector o rings + pintle caps. It ran great before aside from a lean code on both sides. Well i started it up and it was running rough and dumping white smoke from the exhaust, after a closer look i noticed my injectors were leaking bad so unfortunetly i have to take it back apart because im guessing i didnt seat them properly. Would this cause the white smoke? Im kind of regretting even touching the injectors now..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

White "smoke" form the exhaust can be a number of things:

1) normal water vapor exiting the exhaust, this appears as the engine is warming up and the metal pipes of the cold exhaust system condenses the water from the combustion process, this is completely normal and goes away as the engine and pipes get hot, and stay hot.

2) water vapor in the exhaust from the cooling system, not normal.

3) transmission fluid entering the intake manifold through vacuum modulator (if applicable)

4) engine burning oil, depending on conditions, usually appears deep blue though.

5) excessive amounts of un-burned fuel exiting the exhaust system in vapor form.

I understand that many things can cause the white smoke but it was not doing this before replacing intake gaskets and fuel injector o rings. So im wondering if its because of the leaking fuel from injectors or if i messed something else up during the repair? I dont see what else could have caused the sudden change

What does it smell like?

Is it possible to mix up the injector s plugs

I guess its possible but the layout of the harness makes it pretty hard

update: i took it back apart and found 1 of the injectors is leaking down ( i turned the key on with the upper intake off ) 1 of the cylinders is now full of gas, aside from changing the oil since im sure theres now gas in it is there anything i should look out for before putting it back together? my plan is to replace all the injectors and try priming the pump again before i put the upper intake back on to be sure i seated the injectors properly and have no more leaks. once its back together and i confirm itll fire up ill change the spark plugs as well. i think i might have damaged the injector when i cleaned it. (connected it to power while it was in a piece of hose with a hole for the carb cleaner straw )

Smart!! Anytime you touch te fuel rail ALWAYS prime the system and look for leaks BEFORE you bump the starter.
My stepson almost burned down half of the Colorado mountains this way
Fuel rail leaking on engine swap, bumped starter = Ranger caught fire, on driveway, in the forest during drought /fire season. I was less then happy. However I did grab and extinguisher and put the flames out quickly. He was left with a melted engine harness and more repairs.

A cylinder full of fuel will cause LOTS of white smoke out of the back
DO NOT USE CHEAP INJECTORS and when I say cheap I do not mean price, the crappy auto parts store replacement injectors are not worth the box they come in. Stick with Bosch. You can get a nice set of rebuilt and flow matched injectors all over the internet for under $100 for a SOHC
Make sure you get the new rubber /black plastic injector cups that sit in your intake, those things like to crack.

When seating a fuel rail and new injectors CLEAN out all the cups engine side and fuel rail side.
Use vaseline to lube the new O rings, press each injectors into the manifold, then lay the fuel rail on top, align the tops and press down firmly. Now add the bolts
That's all there is to it, I just did this twice yesterday
No vaseiline = you will rip an O ring and create leaks

So i got new bosch injectors in and the only place it leaks now is where the fuel line connects to the rail i notice i scored up the oring , anybody know the part number for it its one of the green ones or should i just match it up ?

Back