Injectors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Injectors

Reaction score
Hey All, Last weekend I replaced my upper and lower intake manifold gaskets and valve cover gaskets,thermostat while in there. Cleaned the fuel rail, exhaust manifold, valve covers etc. Injectors: the injectors O-rings looked okay but the dust boot (black rubber seal) was showing cracking on a few and two boots were somewhat melted. I was going to have the injectors cleaned at a shop to spray them out with concentrated chemicals etc and re-use. However two things: One they tested the injectors with an Ohm meter?? and said they would recommend replacing the injectors. Also, they cannot clean unless on the vehicle. Keep in mind I have my rig apart in my garage. Second, with the idea of having the injectors cleaned I would buy new dust boots-However I have found I cannot buy the boots by themselves from Ford nor anywhere. I have to buy a new injector to get a new boot. With all this in mind I will be purchasing new injectors from Ford and putting my baby back together this weekend. I have 140K miles. Anyway, I thought to share the info on the injector boots with you from what I have found. If you don't already know!

AL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi AL - How'd your project go so far? Since I didn't remove mine, I'm curious if there were any "gotchas" involved. How much are the OEM injectors going to set you back? I thought I read somewhere on this board that the OEMs are actually made by Bosch (or was that on the O2 sensors?). How did your stripped bolt problem work out?

Regarding the testing of the injectors with an ohm-meter: I know that an open circuit (0 ohms) would indicate a bad injector, but I'd like to know what impedance a "good" injector would register as opposed to a "bad" one. Did the guy give you any details, or just say you needed to open up your wallet and dump the contents on the counter?

I also have my engine apart and was looking at my injectors. Mine has 108k on it and was running great. I had to take it apart to replace a cracked head. I noticed my rubber boots were not in all that great of shape either. They do not do much so I am not going to worry about them at all. How much does Ford want for new injectors?

Hey I think you can get aftermarket injectors for the explorer too..just something to look into...

nick

I don't know if this really works but I guy I know that raced sprint cars said that he would boil his injectors in vineager to clean them.

He fellas,

Niceguy, my back was killing me. To give you the best advice, on another post someone mentioned to take breaks every once in a while to get a fresh perspective. It works, I didnt take any breaks except when I had a snaffu, go get "one" beer inhale/exhale deeply while thinking about a solution.
Anyway, no real problems occurred. I do have to say I Did Not Like The Looks Of The (Rol) Lower Intake Gasket. Rol is made by Felpro. I was expecting something different, but anything should be better than the gold colored factory aluminum ones, I hope. The stripped bolt was for the Valve cover, all others are good thus far. I'll check on the Ohm readings and let you know if someone here doesnt know, this time I didnt feel like asking. He said a few were bad but with the milage and not being able to clean them with them off to just replace.
Kevin-Sorry to hear, Ford (Oregon) states $80 for the OEM, which I think is pretty good. Also, I may have to dissagree with you on not replacing the boots for the injectors.

Niceguy, It was a b**ch to get the fuel rail off though, whew. Lots of wiring to disconnect.

Nick, Yes the aftermarkets are $65. However I feel with this part to go with Ford on.

Phantom, Yes there are some tricks but may only work so far. It is always posssible though that there are some granulars or pieces in the injector that cannot be broken down by chemicals.

AL

Of course if you are planning some big mods, you could go with the injectors with a higher flow rate... anyways... I forgot what i was going to say. Oh! someone mentioned a stripped valve cover bolt. I have a few extra if your intrested. I had a hell of a time getting them... so i bought some extras just in case...

nick

Vanir has 24Lb/hr flow matched injectors for less than $200- for the set.

http://www.vanirtech.com/injectors.html

Stock are 19lb/hr. dont know if using the higher flow would hurt an unmodified engine, or what the effect on fuel milage would be- if any.

Anybody running bigger injectors know? Have opinions?

and more questions

The prospect of higher flow-rate injectors raises more questions: Does the computer control the length (time) of the injector pulse (as surely it must to meet varying load demands), or only the timing of it? If it DOES control length of the pulse (amount of fuel delivered), then is it safe to say that the computer (based on O2 sensor readings, etc.) would adjust the pulse (reduce it) of the higher flow injectors? If so, then theoretically the mileage would not change significantly, and it would not hurt to have the larger injectors on an unmodified motor. Of course, I could be entirely wrong about my assumptions here (you know what they say about assuming...).

I know that on another board I frequent, the turbo guys always put higher flow injectors in when they start bumping up the boost levels so that they don't lean out the mixture and fuel-starve the engine. And $200 sounds like a great price. However, I understand about wanting a critical part like that to remain OEM.

Comments (education and insight) would be welcome...

Michael

Yes, someone please inform... I was considering upgrading to higher flow injectors... but dont know what else is involved... I hear something about having them matched to you MAS... i dont know if thats right or not...

nick

Has anyone used higher flow injectors to correct the pinging problem of these earlier motors? I am not sure if the ping is caused by too advanced of ignition timing or a lean burn ping. I sure would not mind spending $200 on injectors and stop having to put premium fuel in every 300 miles!

Kevin,

Where do you buy your fuel? My personal testing has shown that Amoco 87 octane fuel does not ping while all other brands I've tried do. It may take a tank or two to clean it out, but the Amoco fuels seems to be different than the rest.

Nick, your always helpful-I could use two volve cover bolts although I did not know they were diddicult to obtain. I would hate to take your spares but if you have two new that you could spare email me adionne@atgi.net

SteveVB, you have my curiousity. I would like to know the answer to the larger injectors. That $200 sounds worth looking into. Although an answer from Vanir would take time I may not have.

Anyone have direct knowledge with the larger injector issue?

AL

Thats because they make that gas with an extra ingedient.... a touch of.. LOVE! hehe. okay sorry.

nick

Well.. they were difficult for me. My local dealer wanted like 10 years to get them in... and I had to drive to LA to get em. only 1 dealer down there had them at the time.. but sure.. ill dontate them...

nick

If I run into trouble getting a hold on some I'll get a measurement and we'll compare. I do not accept donations ;}

okay! then you owe me 30 cents!!! hehe. Really.. they are not expensive. Just a pain to get. but i dont need em now. they are just going to get lost as soon as i clean my garage...

nick

Kevin,

You can remove the shorting bar on the earlier models to retard the timing 3 degrees, that may help the ping if you donmt want to run higher octane gas. (info from my factory service manual)It would be the last thing I would do, make sure all systems are 100% before you try it- I would imagine the power would be down some also.

Sure its ping and not a valvetrain- lifters, worn pushrods- problem.

Cant find anything in the manual; about the test values for the injectors- all the tests are supposed to be run on a fuel injection tester!! Not something we backyard mechanics have in the garage.

I was thinking along the same lines as Michael about the larger injectors- the computer meters the fuel based on the results (O2 sensor) so the larger ones shouldnt hurt the mileage much. I may be ordering the vanir parts to replace my 165k old ones.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It has been strongly recommended to me Not to get the larger ones-stick to the OEM on these.

AL

FPR=19
Computer=0

Back