• Register Today It's free!

Injectors

tanbuddy

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
When the explorer is coasting for a few seconds, will the injectors stop squirting fuel into the engine? I have a stick ranger and mustang, and you can tell when the injectors shut down, it slows down quicker and the engine note changes. Its hard to tell on the explorer with the automatic and quiet exhaust.

I think what your referring to is called Engine Braking? (If not please ignore my post)

With the manual you just let off the gas with the truck still in gear and it uses the drag of the motor to slow it down right?

In an automatic (Explorer) you can enable that by putting the truck into 2 or 1 and use them respectively, or you can turn O/D off and it will have the same affect but will add it to use with all the gears. Otherwise with O/D on when you let off the gas I BELIEVE the torque converter disengages kinda as if you would put the clutch in and coast in a manual.

How Engine Braking works, I don't know. I assume the PCM would just inject gas at idle PSI. :dunno:

coast fuel shut off

With an automatic transmission in gear when the PCM detects a closed throttle plate (signal from TPS) above a certain vehicle speed it shuts off the injectors to achieve better fuel economy and to reduce emissions. The newer the vehicle, the more aggressive the coast fuel shut off. The PCM will resume injector pulses to prevent the engine from stalling.

2000 street rod, that what i was asking about, i didnt know if the explorer would do it, or at what speed. Anyone know what speed this would happen at?
On my truck and mustang, i can feel the normal engine braking when i let off, then after a few seconds if im abover 1500 rpm it slows down harder.

Back