Inner Tie Rod Excess Play w/ New Tie Rod | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Inner Tie Rod Excess Play w/ New Tie Rod

duke16

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0L AWD XLT
Just replaced my inner tie rod assuming it was the cause all the minor popping sounds and slight vibration I'm feeling in the wheel. The most convincing evidence that pointed to the inner tie rod was the fact that, with the vehicle still on the ground, I can pull back and forth on the tie rod and there is play. It takes a little bit of force, but I can definitely get the tie rod to move about. There is zero play on the other side.

After replacing the tie rod, all symptoms remain. Both inner and outer tie rods are now brand new.

What else can cause this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check for play with the engine running, rack under pressure.
Did you bleed/purge the PS system after you finished?
Ford racks hate to be moved without the pump running.
Several lock to lock turns of the steering wheel, engine running, crawl speed.
Then see if things tighten up.

In order to check the tie rods correctly you need to get both tires off the ground. Could you have a problem with your front drive shaft. A popping noise and vibration are both symptoms of a bad CV end.

Check for play with the engine running, rack under pressure.
Did you bleed/purge the PS system after you finished?
Ford racks hate to be moved without the pump running.
Several lock to lock turns of the steering wheel, engine running, crawl speed.
Then see if things tighten up.

I didn't touch the PS fluid. Still a little play with the engine running.

In order to check the tie rods correctly you need to get both tires off the ground. Could you have a problem with your front drive shaft. A popping noise and vibration are both symptoms of a bad CV end.

Right, but if I have play on the ground, does that not imply something else is wrong? Bad steering rack?

Play in the rack usually is felt from both sides. It is possible that you got a bad new part, it does happen. Another thought is that when you state the tie rod moves while the tires are on the ground that the tie rods and the rack are fine, but the mounting for the rack itself may be loose on one side (ie bolts backed out, bushing deteriorated, possibly a broken bolt).

- Tie rod play appeared normal when I had both wheels off the ground. The play is only when push/pulling on the tie rod itself.
- Issue is only on one side. No play on the passenger side. So I'd agree, rack/pinion seems fine since usually rack/pinion problems are on both sides.
- Rack/pinion play with both tires off ground seems normal. No lag between when one tire turns and the next one.

I'll check the mounting bolts, that's a good thought.

Inner tie rods or rack

I know this is an older post, but this sounds like my problem too. I've recently replaced inners, outers, balls, kingpins, and sway bar bushings. I have a small knock when I'm at neutral steering and quickly move the wheel back and forth just enough to see movement on the wheel. Imagine holding your hand at 12'oclock and then rocking it back and forth between 10 and 2. When I do this, I have a knock in the wheel. It "looks" to be coming from the driver's inner tie rod end, but I've recently replaced that. It could be a bad part, but seems like it could be the rack also? Can the rack wear from there, but not lose fluid, etc. and give a clunk/knock? If not, then I suppose it's the inner that's bad. I haven't removed the boot to look for play yet.

Thanks,

Yes it is most likely the rack as long as you don't have a bad new part. It common actually I just replaced the rack on mine. If you take the boot off of the inner tie rod and have someone wiggle the wheel where you hear the noise and you can see the shaft in the rack moving beyond the tie rod. Then you def know its in the rack.

When my 1st rack went it had similar symptoms. I had play on only the drivers side but if I turned all the way left I could grab the inner and move it side to side / in and out. I also had some fluid in the boot.

Back