Inner tie rod has play after replacing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Inner tie rod has play after replacing

KDK241

Reaction score
City, State
Maplewood, Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
After replacing the inner and outer tie rods and upper control arms on both sides I went to get a wheel alignment but they couldn't do it because there was too much play on my driver's side inner tie rod. The passenger side is solid and I'm not really sure where to go from here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

take it back to were you bought it, and tell them it has play and you need a new one under warranty

Was it a cheap one? I’ve learned to only buy the “better” parts for the front ends of these trucks.

The end of a new inner tie rod should hold an upward position without drifting downward when installed (before installing the outer tie rod). About the only way I know of to determine if one is worn or not. Pretty basic stuff.

^That's how you check them, or my way at least.

I remember back in the early '80's when front wheel drive cars were really coming into their own on many makes/models. You'd take your car in for an oil change and they'd come back saying you also needed inner tie rods. New brakes, new muffler, new belts, didn't matter...you need inner tie rods, too. They were the "hot" new money ticket for the shops...and, you just knew they didn't go to the trouble of removing the outer rods.

They brought me back and showed me and when you grab the inner tie rod on the passenger side it didn't move but when he grabbed the driver's side inner it moved back and forth. I rechecked it at home and couldn't get it to move but there is play in the wheel so I'm replacing it today anyway. I have brand new tires and really need a wheel alignment!

I'll be following to see what you find. When I refurbished my front end on my 98 with all moog parts, I had some lateral play on mine as well that was from the inner tie rod. I don't think it was as bad as what you have because the shop aligned it fine. I also had new tires on mine, I've checked the tires and so far no abnormal wear, I have not had the front end up in a long time so I haven't check if the play got any worse.

should there be any slop with new inner tie rods?

I'm not disputing what the shop found, but seems to me you would have noticed the looseness in the ball socket of the tie rod when you installed it for it to have movement like that when in place. I used Moog, too...and, didn't have any such play with mine. But, like most all other manufacturers, I believe Moog has moved some (if not all) of their production to China and quality could be hit or miss these days.

Back