Inner Tie Rod Removal - I'm Stumped | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Inner Tie Rod Removal - I'm Stumped

V8BoatBuilder

Transplanted Bostonian
Reaction score
City, State
East Brunswick, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer V8 4x4
I'm trying to change my inner tie-rods on my 1997 Mountaineer. I'm stumped as to how I can get to the boot clamp and rack - they're behind the A-Arm mount.

Anyone who's replaced inner tie-rods on the 2nd gens, how did you do it?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, got the boots off with a super long flathead screwdriver and some long-nose needle nose pliers.

Now it's on to getting the tie rods themselves off the rack. Both my Ford CD and my Chiltons say "do not put torque on the rack, it can strip the gears." However, the rack is completely round so there is no way to get a wrench on it.

Thoughts?

Go rent a inner tie rod end tool.

Hmm... didn't see one at Autozone when i was last there, what do they look like, how are they used?

V8BoatBuilder said:
Hmm... didn't see one at Autozone when i was last there, what do they look like, how are they used?
here it is, it connects to the tie rod.

Attachments

• inner tie rod tool.jpg
    inner tie rod tool.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 448

Gotcha - thabnks for the pic. Though I don't think it'll work because the flats on the tie rods are smaller (and inboard) of the rack.

That tool also doesn't take into account force on the rack gear.

Thoughts?

subscribing..i need to do this soon.

all right... this whole thread has been a bunch of useless internet hooey. I ended up putting a wrench on the rack, and a wrench on the tie rods, and breaking them off. On the passenger side, I used a big monkey wrench to hold the rack.

Right now, I have new inner tie rods on the truck. I'm running out to get new clamps for the boots.

Aaron 1, Tie Rods 0.

I took lots of photos of the process, to redeem my useless posting.

I have used that tool. Works like a charm.

Back