Input Wanted on the Cheapest 2010 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Input Wanted on the Cheapest 2010 XLT

mphilleo

Reaction score
City, State
Lincoln, ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Explorer XLT
So, I couldn't help myself. I bought a 2010 Ford Explorer XLT with the 4.0 and 179,000 miles on it. Because I bought it over my lunch hour, I didn't get to do a very good inspection. But I bought it knowing that the front hub assemblies would have to be replaced. There was a grinding, growling, whining coming from the front when accelerating or driving at low speeds up to 30 or 35 miles an hour then again around 40. it did not seem to make very much noise while cruising at the lower end of highway speed.

When I started it to pull it into my garage this morning I could hear it grinding and growling again even for that short period. I also noticed that a leak was showing on the passenger side rear differential seal. Finally, after poking around under the hood tonight, I got to take a closer look and noticed what appears to be a leak or coolant and oil mixing around the thermostat housing and intake manifold. For bonus points, there seems to be a dead bird in the valley of the engine. The kicker is that I picked it up for $1600. It has a lot of needs but I wanted your input in general and of the pictures. Thanks!

KIMG0999.JPG

KIMG1020.JPG

KIMG1021.JPG

KIMG1022.JPG

KIMG1024.JPG

KIMG1006.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I was $1,600 so what have you lost if you have to ditch it

Wow - 25K a year thereabouts. Hope you're handy!

If you are handy with the tools, then all those 3 items are easy to fix. Hubs are a routine replacement on these, thermostat housing - endless threads, you can replace with same plastic one or metal one. The seals on the differential may be a little more involving, but doable.

So, I couldn't help myself. I bought a 2010 Ford Explorer XLT with the 4.0 and 179,000 miles on it. Because I bought it over my lunch hour, I didn't get to do a very good inspection. But I bought it knowing that the front hub assemblies would have to be replaced. There was a grinding, growling, whining coming from the front when accelerating or driving at low speeds up to 30 or 35 miles an hour then again around 40. it did not seem to make very much noise while cruising at the lower end of highway speed.

When I started it to pull it into my garage this morning I could hear it grinding and growling again even for that short period. I also noticed that a leak was showing on the passenger side rear differential seal. Finally, after poking around under the hood tonight, I got to take a closer look and noticed what appears to be a leak or coolant and oil mixing around the thermostat housing and intake manifold. For bonus points, there seems to be a dead bird in the valley of the engine. The kicker is that I picked it up for $1600. It has a lot of needs but I wanted your input in general and of the pictures. Thanks!

View attachment 151825

View attachment 151826

View attachment 151827

View attachment 151828

View attachment 151829

View attachment 151830
Seems like a good buy to me. That’s exactly the kind of buy I need. This is what brought back to this forum after several years of absence since my 97 was totaled. I’m know looking in the 06-10 range. Best of luck with the truck.

Back