Inside lights FUSE keeps blowing. HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Inside lights FUSE keeps blowing. HELP!

Spl Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
Hey everyone. I have a 94 XLT. I am having the huge problem with the #1 (cutesy lamp/ radio memory) fuse keep blowing. It required a 15A fuse. If I replace the fuse it will instantly blow. If I put in a 30A fuse it will hold for a little wile. Maybe a couple hours before blowing.

Problem is I have a big stereo system. 7,000 watts to be exact and my truck takes a beating so there could be a short any ware.

I disconnected the deck from the car so I know it’s not the deck causing this. When I throw a 30A in, all my inside lights work until it blows. So I can’t find out what light is causing this or anything else. Please point me in the right directing on were to start looking for this short.

l_9e5cc91a0aa84ee0b0ea12dfc23072ae.png

l_ee6d9dd9811a432982e4611a69ede803.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Without knowing what else you have hooked up that may be causing your short, the best we can do is point you in the right direction with the schematics. It's up to you to trace out your problem...
91 to 94 Explorer Schematics and diagrams
Do any of your interior lights NOT work? The first step would be pulling all the courtesy light bulbs; dome light, map lights, courtesy lights in the doors, vanity lights in the visors, rear hatch light. You may also have to contend with the headlight switch as it gets it's power for turning on the interior lights from the same fuse. The headlight switches are known for going out over time, check to see if the base of the headlight switch looks melted, or any of the wires going into the headlight switch melted.

Without knowing what else you have hooked up that may be causing your short, the best we can do is point you in the right direction with the schematics. It's up to you to trace out your problem...
91 to 94 Explorer Schematics and diagrams
Do any of your interior lights NOT work? The first step would be pulling all the courtesy light bulbs; dome light, map lights, courtesy lights in the doors, vanity lights in the visors, rear hatch light. You may also have to contend with the headlight switch as it gets it's power for turning on the interior lights from the same fuse. The headlight switches are known for going out over time, check to see if the base of the headlight switch looks melted, or any of the wires going into the headlight switch melted.

Thanx!

I also have nothing else hooked up besides all the lights that go to that fuse once I disconnect the deck.

No, all lights work witch is wired.

I’m defiantly going to look into the headlight switch!

the best thing to do is to separate the circuit into segments. You will need a service manual and some determination. I 'd start by disconnecting the the door pin switches (all of them) and see if the 15 still blows. How long has this been going on? Can you relate the onset of the problem to a recent repair or an addition to the stereo?? Go over your work. You may have pinched a wire in the harness to ground or power while working or you may have tapped into a circuit with something and overloaded it.

the best thing to do is to separate the circuit into segments. You will need a service manual and some determination. I 'd start by disconnecting the the door pin switches (all of them) and see if the 15 still blows. How long has this been going on? Can you relate the onset of the problem to a recent repair or an addition to the stereo?? Go over your work. You may have pinched a wire in the harness to ground or power while working or you may have tapped into a circuit with something and overloaded it.

The only thing that happened recently is my driver door sensor, pin and spring came out. I disconnected it from the connector to see if that was causing it but the fuse blew again. Other then that, everything has been the same…

Its been going on for 3 days now and started right after the door sensor came apart. BUT I disconnected it and I still blow fuses.

Did you tape the door pin-switch wires up when you disconnected them? Ford pin-switches are switched positive. Maybe that wire is shorting to ground. Also check your ciggy lighter and wires I have seen them fray and short before. Pull the lighter from the socket and check for debris in the socket. After 22 years in car audio I have seen coins, bobby pins even water in lighter sockets cause this same problem. Good luck!:salute:

oops double post

Did you tape the door pin-switch wires up when you disconnected them? Ford pin-switches are switched positive. Maybe that wire is shorting to ground. Also check your ciggy lighter and wires I have seen them fray and short before. Pull the lighter from the socket and check for debris in the socket. After 22 years in car audio I have seen coins, bobby pins even water in lighter sockets cause this same problem. Good luck!:salute:

No its a plug so no wires to tape...

As for the cig lighter, I dont have one anymore lol. I have a volt meter in its place...

I cant think of what to check next! It seams related to the door sensor cuz the fuse blew shortly after the sensor came apart but its disconnected so I don know how that still could be doing it.

Find out what else is on the circuit. You mentioned lighter, is there anything else?

Get a service manual and see where it runs back to, in all directions. Head "upstream" to the next connection and break it there. See if the fuse still blows.

Alan, I already posted a link to the schematics and diagrams for the 91-94 Explorers for Spl Explorer already, see post #2.
The only things being powered through fuse #1, a 15amp fuse, is all the interior courtesy lamps, map lights etc., dash illumination, memory seat module, remote keyless entry module and the memory + lead for the radio. If this is a 2-door Explorer, then the power mirrors also get power via this fuse. The power to fuse #1 comes from fuse #2 in the power dist. box, under-hood.

Alan, I already posted a link to the schematics and diagrams for the 91-94 Explorers for Spl Explorer already, see post #2.
The only things being powered through fuse #1, a 15amp fuse, is all the interior courtesy lamps, map lights etc., dash illumination, memory seat module, remote keyless entry module and the memory + lead for the radio. If this is a 2-door Explorer, then the power mirrors also get power via this fuse. The power to fuse #1 comes from fuse #2 in the power dist. box, under-hood.

In the 94 XLT fuse #1 is for interior courtesy lamps, map lights, and stereo memory. That’s it. So if I disconnect the deck, that takes away the stereo being the problem. That leaves all the inside lamps and the door sensors that turn them on...

But like I said, all the lights work when I can keep a fuse from blowing so it’s hard to pin point where the problem is located

Any ideas are appreciated! Its 101 degrees here right now so once it cools down im ganna go back out and continue looking around.

Ok fixed. After going threw the truck I finaly found out is was the back driver door sensor. Damn thing melted inside. FINALY know what was causing this. It was driving me crazy to not have my system working. I have a friend being releasd from prison tommarow and I was stressin I wouldn't have this fixed in time for him to hear my stereo when I see him.

Back