Inside mirror | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Inside mirror

Alex from GA

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer
Is there any way, besides drilling holes in the glass, to keep the adhesive on the mirror attached to the windshield? I buy the best stuff, clean the metal puck and glass thoroughly and follow the instructions to the letter and the thing still falls off every year or two. It's always in the summer. I have to park the truck where the sun beats down on the windshield.

Soak the metal puck in acetone to remove any remnant of glue, then sand the bonding surface of the puck with 120ish grit sandpaper to give the glue a surface to grip. Then soak it in acetone again to clean. Scrape the glass surface to remove any old glue film and then scrub it with acetone. This will work far better than the alcohol wipe they often provide for the purpose. Make sure the glue kit is fresh, that is, that it hasn't been on the shelf for years. But concentrate on the prep. With glues, prep is everything. Be sure to use acetone... it does the best job at dissolving old glue, far better than alcohol.

Agreed.. I have to do one of these as well. It's somewhat a dramatic affair when the mirror jumps from the windshield while you're cruising down the road.

It last happened to me with a different vehicle, a Chev Avalanche. Unfortunately, it was deep into a MN winter and I didn't have a heated garage. Glues don't work so well at -20 degrees so I had to lash the mirror to a sun visor for a few months. Terrible truck in every regard... at least the one I got.

Back