• Register Today It's free!

Install Dual XHD6425 Radio

rmstaff

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
Have a 2004 Sport Trac with the Pioneer Radio & 6 disk changer!
Have purchased the Dual HD Radio for replacement. Has anyone attempted the replacement of the factory radios?
Not an electronics guru here. Might be better to pay for a professional install.
Is there a factory amp on this system?

Thanks
Robert

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dunno depends on which system was installed from the factory.

might be a good idea to get the wiring adapter kit for your vehicle and do it that way
then you won't have to worry about splicing the wrong wire.

What exact radio did you get? I'll be glad to talk you through the install. It really is not difficult.

I purchased this from Crutchfields and supposedly they supply the harness, etc.
A local installer said I would have to remove all the speaker wire and rewire to make the install work due to a factory amp?? $135.00 to rewire - 45.00 to install + any parts! Sort of scary! Install costs more than the unit!
If I could do it myself I think I would also upgrade the speakers!

Thanks for the info and help!

Robert

http://www.dualav.com/receivers/xhd6425.html

The installer is trying to screw you out your money. If you are installing a head unit you only need the wire kit and mounting kit. I got both at Best Buy off the shelf. Should take you about 10 minutes to connect the wires to the adapter harness. If the radio yu bought is a double din then a little trimming is required for the new radio to fit, but it very minimal. The new mounting will hide all cuts. Then when you are done installing yourself for free, go find the clown that wanted to rewire your entire vehicle and kick him in the nuts..

Dude--

Do not have an installer do it. He's full of sh*t. You need this harness, if Crutchfield did not supply it:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=103000&i=120705521&tp=736

h120705521-f.jpg

Splice the large harness to the unit, and plug into the stock harness (per your link, you can see their diagram with the colors coming off the radio's harness--just splice them to the above harness). With respect to the separate sub harness, plug in the red/white to the head unit for amp out (per your link, it's the "rear preamp out"), tap the blue wires so that it "fires" your sub when you turn on the unit (per your link, it's the "blue remote turn on"), and plug into the stock harness for the sub.

Very, very easy.

I hate folks who try to rip others off.

Thank you folks! Should be here within the hour! I will post a progress report!
Installer probably thought I was Santa Clause?

Best of the Holidays to all!!

Robert

Update! Unfortunately, they sent the wrong harness so the install will be after the holidays!

They will send the proper one!

Happy Holidays!!!

Back