Install help New bilstein's upper single screw spinning | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Install help New bilstein's upper single screw spinning

roverz

Reaction score
City, State
Bay Area, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 EB
in the process of installing new replacement bilstein shocks and i installed the two bolts to the lower control arm and started installing the single threaded upper shock mount bolt. Bilstine only supplies one nylon lined nut for this and low and behold there doesnt appear to be any welded nut for me to attach a wrench to to keep it from spinning.

I am sure there is a simple answer here but the shock boot might be blocking a nut or something but i can't feel anything there and didnt want to take the shocks out without a consultation from my EF peeps

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Option #1 Take off the shock and attach two nuts to the bottom of the threaded upper shaft?

4888283396_f230d99388_b.jpg

Many times, the top of the shock shaft has a small unthreaded area where you can get a small wrench or a pair of vice-grips on. If it does not, you could do as you already posted and get 2 nuts on the lower part and "cinch" them together for something to grab.

Finally got hold of Bilstein tech support and stupid me the threaded portition on the top instead of having a flat area like the Motorsport shocks it has an internal allen key that you don't see unless you look down at the threaded stem.

Silly me ok back to install

Back