Install issues with my new intake

snocross1985

Explorer-less
Reaction score
City, State
Stratham, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
Does anyone have pictures of an aftermarket intake installed on their OHV (96 or so preferably)? I bought an intake from ASMI (looks exactly like the MAC). Only problem is that the pipe runs into issues with the fan shroud. Anyone have pics of their intakes (OHV V6)? I would love to see pics of it arounf the throttle body area from the side if possible. It would be GREATLY appreciated! My intake came with no diresctions, so I am having a hell of a time here. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have read that some of the cheaper 'ebay' intake kits say in the instructions to cut the fan shroud to accomidate the tubing.... wouldn't reccomend it though because if you hit a hard bump your fan itself might come in contact with the tubing.

But from what I can see, if ANY round tube (be it MAC or ebay brand or otherwise) is connected to the throttle body, it will run into clearance issues. And no, I had not planned on cutting the shroud.

How much larger is the ASMI tubing from stock? You still have the stock fan and shroud right?

The new tube is 3" tubing. stock is very close to 3" at the shroud. Only thing is, the stock tube has an accordian-like ripple at the throttle body which allows it to bend. I managed to get it mounted air-tight and secure so its not like there are any problems. Just seemed odd.

sounds like the neck on the short end of the L shaped tube was measured wrong by the manufacturer and made it too long.

Bringing my old post back. Anyone have any pictures that can help me of their aftermarket intake. It will be GREATLY appreciated.

bump

every intake I had on the OHV's either hit the shroud or the alternator, take your pick :)

If those are my choices, I guess I will stick with the shroud. I don't think the alternator will be very kind to it. :)

I never had to cut anything, butI never used a metal tube either...

Back