• Register Today It's free!

Install L/S or Swap Diffs?

RammaR

Reaction score
City, State
Franklin, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 4x4
I've got a '96 4x4 with a 45 axle code (3.55 open). I also have 31x10.50's and the TT/shackle lift, which changed the gearing a bit. I'd like to improve my 4x4 traction with either installing a L/S or locker. I'd also like to go to 4.10 gears to get back to a better overall ratio. But swapping the ring & pinion seems to be a major project and I might be better off looking for a set of D2 diffs (4.10 L/S) and doing a whole swap.

My questions are:

1) Does the factory D2 front axle also have a L/S or is it just in the rear?

2) Swap the whole axle or just the diff's?

3) What are some things to look for or stay away from when hunting for used axles / diffs?

Thanks for the advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. No, only the rear is limited slip
2. Swap the entire rear axle, for the front you just change the center section. Finding some junkyard diffs will be a whole lot cheaper than having a shop put gears in your current axles.
3. Look for any signs of uneven wear, or broken teeth. make sure it spins smoothly, and that nothing is bent. The used axle I bought was taken from an explorer that had been in a collision and an axle shaft and caliper bracket were bent.

Also, if you have the chance look how the spider gears and axles look as one or the other being crooked could indicate a bend housing. Also if you want a 4.10 front diff check this out 4.10 Front

Thanks for the quick responses. Any reason not to put a L/S in the front diff prior to installing it?

It may be overkill, but are there any problems with doing so?

Unless it's an E-locker or Air locker but for someone who doesn't know if they need it or not they def. don't need it. As far as swapping and entire diff just to re ratio it..I'd just buy the gears. You don't know what your getting if you buy a junk yard diff and you could end up just re gearing anyway or running out of money and taking a complete loss. Buy the gears and you'll at least know what you've got.

Back