InStAllAtIoN HELP!? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

InStAllAtIoN HELP!?

swindler_57

Reaction score
City, State
Burley, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 1991 Ford Explorer with a Kenwood cd deck. I have as of right now all of the stock speakers and everything still hooked up. I have hooked up some trashy subs that aren't even mine and a punch 40 amp (rockford fosgate) but I recently received a 600 watt bridged power kenwook amplifier. I would like to hook up the kenwook amp instead of the punch 40. When I had the rockford amp hooked up I tried to play cd's but the sound would only come out of the subs. When I would listen to the radio the sound would only come out of the normal speakers. Can I fix this when I hook up the kenwood amp? And how would I go about doing this? Should I disconnect the stock amp that came with the explorer or just leave it? I would like to hear my music come out of ALL of the speakers instead of just the amps. Please help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First you need to bypass the factory amp since you have an aftermarket HU.
Second, the stock speakers are severely limiting the sound quality from the HU.
Third, if the new amp is only for the sub and you hook it up through the subwoofer out RCAs of the headunit, everything should work correctly.

questions

Okay, so if I have to bypass the factory amp. How do I go about doing that? I've been thinking that I needed to do that but I just wasn't sure how. The subs that I have right now are two 12-inch Jensens. They are (I think) rated at about 300-watts. They are quite old and used though, because my friend just wanted to put them in there. He wasn't using them. I've got another sub in the back though in a separate box. It's a 10-inch Sonly Xplod. I think it says about 400-watts or maybe 600-watts, I'm not sure. I'm not really learned in the car stereo area, just almost everything else. What does the bridged thing mean? Could I hook my new kenwood amp up to the entire car system(all the door speakers) if I bypassed the factory amp? I might do that if I can. Thanks for all the help.

stereo shops/car audio stores should sell the connecter to bypass the amp, simply cut the end off that you dont need and the wires should be labled(front left, front right, etc.).

if your going to run the kenwood amp for the doors, (im not sure if your HU has this but here goes) if theres a front or rear RCA output on your amp run an RCA cable to the amp and get the bypassed wires and connect those to the speaker terminals. is your kenwood amp a 4 channel amp or 2 channel? if its 4 channel yes, and if its 2 channel yes(but it may not sound as good unless the amp is 2 ohm stable per channel then it will sound good with the speakers wired in parallel, other than that you would have to run the speakers in serries,8 ohms, and if you do it that way the speakers wont be getting much power and will not be as loud.)

Bridging means to combine 2 channels together, so you would get the + from the first chanel and run that to the + terminal on the sub/speaker an then get the - from the second channel and run that to the other terminal of the sub/speaker (some times its the opposite)

ok, here goes:

use your kenwood aftermarket deck to power the door speakers, especially if they are factory they don't need much power, and the hu should work fine

To bypass the factory amp you will need to re-route wires from the head unit to the door speakers because they are currently running from the factory amp. I would say totally uninstall that thing and sell it on ebay or something.

Then run the two rca's to the new kenwood amp from the back of the hu. trash the jensens and use the sony. I have 2 sony 10's and if they are the 5 sided ones they are rated at 300 watts rms at 4 ohms. Your amp probably won't give them that much, but they should work ok anyway.

Back