• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Installation of Rear/Lower Air Deflector

LurchII

Reaction score
City, State
MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020, Explorer, ST
I decided to do the installation myself. The dealer would not cover this, since it was not on the original build data list. I am though getting reimbursed for the parts, please don’t ask how…

Have a Ford Dealer that is close
Be friends with a mechanic
Have Patience

Parts list:
HN5 Nut, already on the vehicle. Holds the heat shield

Parts to order:
<11778 deflector
HN1 C-Nut x 4, should come with the deflector. Make sure it faces up, nut towards the sky.
HS1 Bolt x 4 (P/N W5052745439). This may/or may not be correct. When it came in it was WAY too big. This is where mechanic friend comes in handy, he was able to find the right one in his toolbox. Sorry no P/N.
HM1 x 2 Plastic push pin (P/N W14040S300)

Remove HN5 x 4 10mm, place deflector in place, snug up the 4 nuts (HN5). The deflector should sit on top of the rear bumper, snug up HS1 x 4, 8mm. At this point I installed the HM1 x 2 plastic push pins, to help alignment. Tighten up the remaining hardware. I did HN5, then HS1, no specific torque value that I could find, so just snug.

Refer to attached pictures, and diagram under post: “Is this part (Air Deflector) missing…” it’s that simple, it took me less than 10 minuet’s to install, no ramps or special tools required.

Jeff

20200131_092424.jpg

20200131_134935.jpg

20200131_134954.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

TMMST

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I decided to do the installation myself. The dealer would not cover this, since it was not on the original build data list. I am though getting reimbursed for the parts, please don’t ask how…

Have a Ford Dealer that is close
Be friends with a mechanic
Have Patience

Parts list:
HN5 Nut, already on the vehicle. Holds the heat shield

Parts to order:
<11778 deflector
HN1 C-Nut x 4, should come with the deflector. Make sure it faces up, nut towards the sky.
HS1 Bolt x 4 (P/N W5052745439). This may/or may not be correct. When it came in it was WAY too big. This is where mechanic friend comes in handy, he was able to find the right one in his toolbox. Sorry no P/N.
HM1 x 2 Plastic push pin (P/N W14040S300)

Remove HN5 x 4 10mm, place deflector in place, snug up the 4 nuts (HN5). The deflector should sit on top of the rear bumper, snug up HS1 x 4, 8mm. At this point I installed the HM1 x 2 plastic push pins, to help alignment. Tighten up the remaining hardware. I did HN5, then HS1, no specific torque value that I could find, so just snug.

Refer to attached pictures, and diagram under post: “Is this part (Air Deflector) missing…” it’s that simple, it took me less than 10 minuet’s to install, no ramps or special tools required.

Jeff

View attachment 177911

View attachment 177912

View attachment 177913
Thank you for taking the time to do the write up on this. Were the rivets on the rear fascia in the way at all?

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3
I'm really beginning to doubt if the ST is supposed to have this deflector. I was just at my dealership to pick up the fuel filler funnel and checked out the 8 Explorers that they had on the lot. There were XLT's, Limiteds, a Platinum and a newly arrived ST. All had the deflector except the ST. Since they all come off the same assembly line, why would they skip the ST if it is supposed to have it? Also, one or two members mentioned that their dealer said that the deflector was not on the build sheet.

Peter

Exie

Reaction score
City, State
Hubert, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Thanks for the install tutorial. I have one on order from my dealer and still waiting as they said it was on a national back order.
My dealer had no issue getting it ordered for mine. None on their lot had any installed as well.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3
Thanks for the install tutorial. I have one on order from my dealer and still waiting as they said it was on a national back order.
My dealer had no issue getting it ordered for mine. None on their lot had any installed as well.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
If the Explorers you are referring to were all ST's, that sort of backs up my post above.

Peter

2020ST

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I'm really beginning to doubt if the ST is supposed to have this deflector. I was just at my dealership to pick up the fuel filler funnel and checked out the 8 Explorers that they had on the lot. There were XLT's, Limiteds, a Platinum and a newly arrived ST. All had the deflector except the ST. Since they all come off the same assembly line, why would they skip the ST if it is supposed to have it? Also, one or two members mentioned that their dealer said that the deflector was not on the build sheet.

Peter
In the other thread the poster said a tech told them it could cause heat buildup. Which is a plausible explanation due to higher HP and exhaust temperatures. From experience, the exhaust piping on my ST makes a lot of heat expansion noises when I shut off the car.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3
That might make sense except that my Aviator has the deflector and the same engine as the ST.
The one difference between the Explorers is that the ST is considered a "Performance" vehicle and perhaps that is why the deflector isn't being installed on them.:dunno:

Peter

Last edited:

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST

Peter
The platinum I checked didnt have it. So yours did, mine didnt (plat vs plat).

I believe Ford has no darn clue what the heck they are doing.

TMMST

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
That might make sense except that my Aviator has the deflector and the same engine as the ST.
The one difference between the Explorers is that the ST is considered a "Performance" vehicle and perhaps that is why the deflector isn't being installed on them.:dunno:

Peter
This ST has it

NEWPORTNJ

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ST EXPLORER

Peter
No. Peter. My dealership looked into it and found that my ST was to have it, so Ford sent it and it's now installed. Plain and simple Ford screwed up and they will have eventually put out a bulletin.

Exie

Reaction score
City, State
Hubert, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
No. Peter. My dealership looked into it and found that my ST was to have it, so Ford sent it and it's now installed. Plain and simple Ford screwed up and they will have eventually put out a bulletin.
Exactly that's what my dealer said and is doing as well. U would think for the price we paid they wouldn't be short changing us like this.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3
Exactly that's what my dealer said and is doing as well. U would think for the price we paid they wouldn't be short changing us like this.
Yet other dealers have said the ST doesn't get it which seems to be backed up by the creation of thread alone. So how can it be explained that when you have a bunch of Explorers going down the assembly line that it seems all the others except the ST get one installed?

Peter

Ronxlt

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
This is the same with my ST and my dealership. Ford messed up.

Ronxlt

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Yet other dealers have said the ST doesn't get it which seems to be backed up by the creation of thread alone. So how can it be explained that when you have a bunch of Explorers going down the assembly line that it seems all the others except the ST get one installed?

Peter
There are STs that came off the line with them. There some other trims that don’t have them as well and some that have them. It could be a simple case of running out of the part from the supplier and continuing the production. Your Aviator has the same engine and exhaust as the ST and you have it.

Havok33

Reaction score
City, State
Indy
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ST
I’m also of the belief that all models were supposed to have them. Since all of us that have gotten them installed or are getting it installed through the dealer had to wait because they were back ordered I’m thinking Ford was just pushing them out without them due to a shortage of parts as someone else mentioned. Who knows at this point, I’ll let ya know if anything sounds or feels different after Saturday when mine gets installed.

NEWPORTNJ

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ST EXPLORER
My neighbor just bought an XLT in black and he has the deflector. Again plain and simple FORD SCREWED UP!!!

Rossi6998

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Whittier, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Mistakes happen. This is a minor issue! As long as Ford is willing to fix the issue, I am happy. My Ford Dealership ordered the part and will install it when I bring the vehicle in.

LurchII

Reaction score
City, State
MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020, Explorer, ST
The Rivets we're not in the way. There flat on the top. I snuged up the bumper bolts, wiggled them, snuged them again until they would not move. There is no torque value, and didn't want to do any damage...
Jeff

TMMST

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
The Rivets we're not in the way. There flat on the top. I snuged up the bumper bolts, wiggled them, snuged them again until they would not move. There is no torque value, and didn't want to do any damage...
Jeff
Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

themishmosh

Reaction score
City, State
NE Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Mistakes happen. This is a minor issue! As long as Ford is willing to fix the issue, I am happy. My Ford Dealership ordered the part and will install it when I bring the vehicle in.
That's YOUR dealer. Some have reported that their dealer refused to comp it. Even though OP was refused but somehow managed to get the part for free. Bottom line is Ford is NOT owning up to their mistake.