Missing Part - Rear Air Deflector | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Missing Part - Rear Air Deflector

My dealership told me that the ST diagrams did not show that it was suppose to be even on there. I will print this topic and bring it to them and show them.
That seems to fall in line with what others have said.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That seems to fall in line with what others have said.

Peter
My dealership said that it was supposed to be there and installed it. That also goes along with what others have said.

My dealership said that it was supposed to be there and installed it. That also goes along with what others have said.

ditto. Just waiting on the back order to fulfill. The Ford parts website also clearly says “ST version” for applicable vehicles.

I guess they're looking at different diagrams etc.:rolleyes:

Peter

I guess they're looking at different diagrams etc.:rolleyes:

Peter
I think it might be a matter of bad dealerships not wanting to take the time to order and install the parts. There are too many of us having no problems from our dealerships for this to be a part that should not be on the ST.

Stopped by the dealer in my town today. 5 Explorers. 4 XLTs and 1 ST.

1 XLT missing deflector
3 XLT with deflector
1 ST missing deflector

It was interesting to see the 2 XLTs side by side. It would be interesting to question the dealer about it if you were purchasing one.

Attachments

• 6940BB96-2EC2-4282-8AFB-8D0E05636A23.jpeg
    6940BB96-2EC2-4282-8AFB-8D0E05636A23.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 124
  • AE81A8AE-AD6A-4C91-B137-7C8A415190AB.jpeg
    AE81A8AE-AD6A-4C91-B137-7C8A415190AB.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 113
  • B3D85A37-09C7-4201-A5CC-4436C24879BD.jpeg
    B3D85A37-09C7-4201-A5CC-4436C24879BD.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 128

Stopped by the dealer in my town today. 5 Explorers. 4 XLTs and 1 ST.

1 XLT missing deflector
3 XLT with deflector
1 ST missing deflector

It was interesting to see the 2 XLTs side by side. It would be interesting to question the dealer about it if you were purchasing one.

My dealer Cam Clark Ford in Airdrie, Alberta has all of the missing pieces, front shock tower deflector, rear deflectors fuel funnel and tow hook eye on order and when they receive will be installing n/c.

My guess is that there was some decision not to include these on some trims (at least the ST). Errors happen when everything goes down the same line. The STs that got a deflector were likely the mistakes. Like my 2012 Focus that had one LED tail light assembly from the Electric Focus and one standard tail light.

If it was a parts shortage issue like some have speculated, the cases of missing deflectors would be much more random (more evenly spread amongst trim levels). Because it seems like a very high percentage of XLTs have them and a very high percentage of STs do not--I’d say XLTs are supposed to get them for whatever reason (and ones that don’t are mistakes) and STs are not supposed to get them (and ones that do are mistakes).

Dealers don’t know any more than you or I do about what is supposed to be installed at the factory. The ones providing/installing the part are just doing it for perceived good customer service.

My guess is that there was some decision not to include these on some trims (at least the ST). Errors happen when everything goes down the same line. The STs that got a deflector were likely the mistakes. Like my 2012 Focus that had one LED tail light assembly from the Electric Focus and one standard tail light.

If it was a parts shortage issue like some have speculated, the cases of missing deflectors would be much more random (more evenly spread amongst trim levels). Because it seems like a very high percentage of XLTs have them and a very high percentage of STs do not--I’d say XLTs are supposed to get them for whatever reason (and ones that don’t are mistakes) and STs are not supposed to get them (and ones that do are mistakes).

Dealers don’t know any more than you or I do about what is supposed to be installed at the factory. The ones providing/installing the part are just doing it for perceived good customer service.

The Ford parts website very clearly says it’s applicable to ST variants. This also doesn’t explain the lack of the deflector on XLT or Platinum models (see other thread for images).

My engineering judgement leads me to believe Ford is short on these parts for one reason or the other (and getting shorter due to China production slowdown from COVID-19). Parts are prioritized to XLT and Limited models when they have them, then Platinum models, and then ST models (due to importance of fuel economy). These so called “build sheets” that some people claim their dealers are looking at can easily be modified on the assembly line under a deviation type scenario to make it look like the part doesn’t belong. Also, the bumper design on ST models wouldn't have all the holes drilled just for the heck of it since it would add cost on the manufacturing side.

The Ford parts website very clearly says it’s applicable to ST variants. This also doesn’t explain the lack of the deflector on XLT or Platinum models (see other thread for images).

My engineering judgement leads me to believe Ford is short on these parts for one reason or the other (and getting shorter due to China production slowdown from COVID-19). Parts are prioritized to XLT and Limited models when they have them, then Platinum models, and then ST models (due to importance of fuel economy). These so called “build sheets” that some people claim their dealers are looking at can easily be modified on the assembly line under a deviation type scenario to make it look like the part doesn’t belong. Also, the bumper design on ST models wouldn't have all the holes drilled just for the heck of it since it would add cost on the manufacturing side.
I think MW0103 explained why some of the other trims are missing it. The fact is that by far and away it is the ST that doesn't have it. As for the bumper design, it is more cost effective to produce one design than two, even if the holes aren't to be used. This isn't anything new.
Until an actual Ford person/employee familiar with the manufacturing details speaks on this issue it is all speculation as this thread has proven.

Peter

I think MW0103 explained why some of the other trims are missing it. The fact is that by far and away it is the ST that doesn't have it. As for the bumper design, it is more cost effective to produce one design than two, even if the holes aren't to be used. This isn't anything new.
Until an actual Ford person/employee familiar with the manufacturing details speaks on this issue it is all speculation as this thread has proven.

Peter
What data source are you using to base your far and away claim?

My parts (including tow hook) are in. Taking for installation tomorrow afternoon. Service guy said they had already done 4 other Explorers.

is gas mileage shooting up? ;)

I’ll check my xlt tonight and see if it has it. Build was in February 2020....

What data source are you using to base your far and away claim?
I thought I had answered this but perhaps I didn't hit the post button. In going through just 5 of the 12 pages on the subject thread, I found 19 ST, 1 Limited and 4 Platinums that were missing the defector.

Peter

I thought I had answered this but perhaps I didn't hit the post button. In going through just 5 of the 12 pages on the subject thread, I found 19 ST, 1 Limited and 4 Platinums that were missing the defector.

Peter
Thanks Peter. Do you believe that this data set includes every owner of every Explorer sold for the 6th Gen? I highly doubt it does.

So I visited my local dealer that does all my servicing. This is not the one I took pics of and posted here prior. They had 11 on their lot, XLTs, Limiteds, platinum and STs. Not a single one had the deflector. There was a white XLT in the normal parking lot with plates on it and it HAD the deflector.

So I visited my local dealer that does all my servicing. This is not the one I took pics of and posted here prior. They had 11 on their lot, XLTs, Limiteds, platinum and STs. Not a single one had the deflector. There was a white XLT in the normal parking lot with plates on it and it HAD the deflector.
It’s really looking like a supply issue. I think most of the early 6th Gen buyers in here bought STs and therefore, we had more posts about the ST. This in turn led some to declare that it shouldn’t be on the ST.

Ordered the rear defector and parts. Mine was missing....

Ordered the rear defector and parts. Mine was missing....

The more I think about this and as loyal as I am to Ford, this is some unprofessional, ghetto, third world crap to knowingly sell a brand new vehicle at any price missing so many parts. Do we get away with missing payments??? I take that back. I don't think this would fly in the third world! They would overreact and throw people in jail.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just received my tow hook. Now just waiting on the cover that goes over the strut mount.

Back