Installed 5r55s week later not shifting right 2008 4.0 2wd Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installed 5r55s week later not shifting right 2008 4.0 2wd Explorer

Jason Pope

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, Tn.
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Explorer XLT Iron Man
When me and brother in law installed the rebuilt transmission it would not go in park, then 4 days later it just started going in park on it's own (without me doing anything). Those few days it acted like it could probably use maybe another quart of fluid, I could see it try to barely slip on the rpm gauge (not bad). But then 7 days later it acted like it was slipping more, so I checked the fluid and it needed a little more. Almost a quart added and it looked perfect. But what I noticed after it was actually pulling right, it was starting off in like 3rd gear as it is in drive and will not downshift or ship to high gear and overdrive button does nothing. When I try to shift manual it acts like 1st gear is actually 2nd gear and then I shift to 2nd gear and it does nothing, then shift to third and it shifts. But then when I shift to drive it does nothing and I am running about 3,000 rpm at 60mph and then while in drive it never shifts up or down. So I have like 2 gears working in odd order. Plus when I put it in reverse from park it now has a clank noise. Any help?? I know enough to get myself in trouble obviously... Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We put it in and I was asking if he got the torque converter to seat right and he said yeah yeah yeah... It seemed to bolt together fine, but is that a possible issue?? I am at a loss. This is my first time installing an electronic style transmission. I like old cars and race cars, I am feeling like I should make a big explorer bonfire at the moment. If anyone knows what I should look for I would GREATLY APPRECIATE IT... Oh yeah, I did not use a 65 series battery when I put this back together and the battery was then crap. So I put n an 85 series, that would not matter with this transmission for any reason would it?

My first question is do you have a warranty?? Who did you purchase from?

No warranty, I bought it from a guy that crashed his explorer and had just paid $2,600 for a complete rebuild 3 months ago, everything checked out.

Is it possible I stretched the shift cable when installed it? Because since it would not go into park and then just all the sudden did, plus it would shift very other gear pretty much. I hooked the cable to the shift lever where it looked like it fit (could of been wrong). I feel like that makes sense, but is there a way to adjust the shift linkage on these?

What about the MLPS, maybe that needs to be replaced.

Thank you very much! I will try those things, had it scanned and that shows possible wiring harness issue and it does look rough. If changing that out does not work I am gonna try these two things. That one link about adjusting the shifter I should of seen that, guess I stopped looking there once I did the drive test and it staring working for about a week or so. Hopefully with these 3 things I can put off the Explorer bonfire.... Thanks

Jason there also was a TSB that stated the air conditioner water drain would corroded the transmission connector. Watch this video. Read the first caption

Back