Installed amp now no sound

Dan Whitaker

One fast putty tat
Reaction score
City, State
Raytown MO (Kansas City suburb)
Year, Model & Trim Level
No Mounty no more.
I installed a 400w four chanel amp today to power my rear speakers and a 200w to power a small woofer. The 400w had RCA input and output. I had sound from the woofer but nothing from the front or rear spakers. I did not hook up the front speakers to the amp.
When I turned the HU on I heard a small pop sound and imediately turned of the HU.
I then unhooked both amps and wired the speakers back just the HU and still no sound.
I checked the fuse on the HU and it was not blown. The clock works, the cd works and the radio still tunes in stations but no sound.
Did I somehow blow the HU's built in amp? I tried hooking up an old stock speaker that still worked thinking I may have blown the speakers but there was no sound from it either.
The HU is a Blaupunkt RPD555 and the amp is a Jensen that I bougt used.
Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have the amps hooked up. After having no sound I wired the speakers back to the HU harnes and still nothing. That is why I think I killed th HU.

Help! Any ideas anyone.

Try hooking up another HU. If it works then it's your HU, if not then it's something else.

Well the factory head unit work with no amps in the line? I dont know about explorers but i do know on my old taurus without the premium amps it wouldnt work at all.

I'm not using the factory HU. When I instaled the one I have I ordered the full wiring kit from Crutchfield which by-passes the factory amp.

Back