• Register Today It's free!

Installed body lift and new tires

Jwigs7

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ex 4.0 V6 Limited
Hey guys, just wanted to put up some before and after, and install pics of my body lift and my new 265/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers. I also bought a yakima rack off ebay and put that up the same day as the lift..
Before lift w/ new tires installed
NewTires2.jpg

After lift w/ new tires
2011-04-28_14-19-13_575.jpg

Here are some of the pictures of the tires..
NewTires1.jpg

NewTires3.jpg

now the install..
It took me and a friend a little under seven hours to do it. Instead of using the bolts that came with the kit, we went down to a fastener supply store and got the same length and grade up threaded all the way down. by using those bolts we just torqued them down and didnt need the nuts and washers. We also flipped the bumper upside down and reinstalled (thanks for that idea explorer forum). That was pretty much it for the major changes, everything else was pretty standard. I didnt take many pictures of the install but heres a few..
2011-04-27_13-16-22_594.jpg

2011-04-27_13-16-36_110.jpg

2011-04-27_14-15-58_135.jpg

2011-04-27_15-07-11_396.jpg

2011-04-27_15-07-35_903.jpg

Sorry about no side shots but the garage was to narrow to get a good shot with my phone. Anyway, I'm extremely happy with it! Looks a ton more aggressive with the tires and lift! I got my HID off road lights in the mail yesterday so I'm trying to get them installed on my roof basket before I leave for Afghanistan in may. I'm looking for some mounting brackets or clamps for a Yakima rack (I think its 1.25in tubing) so if anyone has any info or tips I'd appreciate it!

Heres one last one from yesterday up in the Smokey mountains enjoy :thumbsup:
100_0269.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it looks really good!

but you didn't put the grille guard back on. need to reconfigure the mounting brackets?

so on a skill level 1 to 10, 1 being very easy to do, how would you rate this modification?

yea I have to get new mounting brackets made otherwise my brush guard would have sat three inches too low lol.Its not a very hard mod if you have the right tools i.e impact wrench, drimmel tool, etc..just takes alot of time. but over all I would prob rate it at about a 5 or 6.

That Ex looks great!! I love the Smokey Mountains! I live about 2 hours away from you. But anyway, you did a great job with lift! :)

Really a nice ride. Lift looks great. So where in the Smokies is that pic? I live pretty close too. I love it down there.

STU

Cherry ripe:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Stuart, its actually down south toward Cleveland, TN. Its up in a place called Chillhowee, but its still part of the Smokey Mountains.

lookin good

Looks great I vote for 1 or 3
it took me about 6 hours to do my 1.5 and the rear bumper NEVER came off..then again I did almost all of it solo...

There are so many of us within like a two hour radius we MUST plan a trail ride for sometime next year
Be sure to look in the off road planning I may start a thread to see if we can figure out a good time to do it for everyone

Btw a 15" rim won't fit unless your willing/crazy enough to shave down the brake calipers...

There are so many of us within like a two hour radius we MUST plan a trail ride for sometime next year
Be sure to look in the off road planning I may start a thread to see if we can figure out a good time to do it for everyone

Not to hijack too much but stony run and shoe creek are definitely open until the end of this year. i'm hoping to do both in one day at some point soon.

I would be totally up for a meet, but unfortunately I wont be able to until next spring/summer :'(

I think 1 it is. appreciate the input guys!

I vote for either options 2 or 4. But 2 has a lead over 4. Nice set up and clean looking X.

Josh I don't know if you plan on re-using your OEM TPMS sensors but you can get inexpensive ones from Orange Electronics. I found the right part number on their site and got the sensors off Amazon for like 35 bucks each. They work great!

I had actually forgotten about the TPMS. I guess I'll need to buy a rebuild kit? or did the ones you buy come with the install kit + the sensors? I've never actually toyed with the TPMS sensors.

I had actually forgotten about the TPMS. I guess I'll need to buy a rebuild kit? or did the ones you buy come with the install kit + the sensors? I've never actually toyed with the TPMS sensors.

All they are is the valve stem and sensor and are 1 piece. You just need to put them on the wheel before you mount the tires...they just go through the stem holes and you tighten them down with the nut that is on the stem. Once you install the wheel/tire combo onto the truck you'll need to "train" the sensors with a big magnet.

Option 1 here. steelies and DC-1/DC-2s are way too common. and the finsh on the MB choas is horrible and didnt even last a year (they didnt even see snow) before the paint started chipping and flaking

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for letting us know that Kazer, I've been looking at the MB choas's ever since you got yours. I've also been looking at using OEM mustang rims. Since they are very close to EX stock sizes, TPMS will fit right. They'll look more factory like, but I'm not sure how "offroad use" good they really are?

Back