Installed EL Glow Gauges - Messed up Speedo and Tach | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installed EL Glow Gauges - Messed up Speedo and Tach

chrisschweder

Reaction score
City, State
Eastpointe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer Sport 4 dr
Installed El glow gauges over the weekend. The speedo goes up but tends to stick when you slow down. The tach seems to be loose. Sometimes it works or jumps but usually just sits at around 1000 RPM. I didn't take the needles off. I did have a hard time getting the needles through the holes in the new gauge covers. I must have knocked something loose.

Any advice for the best way to get them working right before I tear it back down?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

take a fork or something, and pry the needles up just a hair.

I had to do that when I installed mine, as I had the same issue as you with sticking needles.

Do I pry it up on the white tips or do you mean the black base that holds the needle?

I used a salad fork to remove the needles and a Scangauge to match the tach/speed. a GPS can be used to do the speed calibration too.

Do I pry it up on the white tips or do you mean the black base that holds the needle?

Black base.

I will give that a try. I take it I can get the panels back off and then just remove the lense with the cluster still attached?

what celly said.

and if you never removed the needles to begin with, then there shouldn't be any "calibration" issues.

I can't remember if you can remove the cover without removing the whole gauge cluster

Back