Installed KC Lights Yesterday on Custom Mounts... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installed KC Lights Yesterday on Custom Mounts...

Took me 3 hours, but this is how I did it. Went to the Home Depot and bought some 6 inch angle brackets used to sure up a door frame. I figured these would be wide enough to drill a hole large enough to mount the lights and strong enough to support the weight of the light. When I got home I slipped the brackets on with the 90 degree angle resting on the back the lip of the bumper (in some cases you might have to take your bumper off). I then marked where I would need to drill holes in the brackets and the bumper to line the lights up and pervent the brackets from shifting. This is why I went with an angle bracket, the 90 degree angle and opposing 6 inch side prevents the bracket from shifting in its side vertically and horizontally. After I marked the holes (one in the middle of the bumper and one almost under the grill) for drilling I drilled into the brackets and bumper mounting with one large nut bolt and washer combo and one sheet metal screw nut and washer combo. I figured this would be sufficient in preventing the brackets from turning on itself. Then I drilled a hole near the end of the bracket to mount the lights on. Mounted the lights and then wired them up. I will keep checking on them daily to see if they brackets are holding their strength. It wasn't a bad mount for 2 $1.75 angle brackets from a hardware store. If I can figure out how to post pics I'll get some up by the end of the week.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds cool. I don't know how to post pics either. I got one of two front tow hooks mounted last night. That's hard too. How did you wire the lights. Did the lights come w/ instructions?

Yeah, KC supplies all the hardware (wires, screws to mount switch and relay, plastic covering for wires, and zip ties) plus instructions. the instructions are difficult to decipher at times, but you should be able to figure it out.

not to get off topic but where did you mount your Tow Hooks up front Josh? I have a 91 and cant figure out how to mount them. If anyone has pictures they want hosted email me @ mklukas@att.net with the picture and a link back to the thread and ill put them up.

-Matt

Hey dude, about the tow hooks... The only way you can mount them up front is if you take the plastic airdam completely off(which I did) or cut areas out for the hooks. I mounted them to each frame rail up front. They look cool and stuff but I haven't got to try them out yet. If you want more details, just email me at gti30@yahoo.com I can send you pics too, just let me know if you want them.

I know this is off the subject at hand, and I apoligize, but it's really frustrating me. Now I know the webmaster(s) need the money to keep the site running, but it's a little too much making everyone that just wants to post pictures on a site instead of linking them pay $30.00 to become an 'Elite Explorer', I mean come on. It'd save a lot of time and trouble. I'll probably get hell for this, but it seems a little out of hand here in my opinion. :mad:

Back