Installed my class 3 hitch today,01 sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installed my class 3 hitch today,01 sport

ChaoticBastard

Reaction score
City, State
Scranton PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
Well I installed my class 3 Draw tite hitch today. I must say pretty painless. 4 bolts total . The hardest part was trying to hold it in place first while I got a nut started. But after that no biggie. Then I had this monsterous wiring harness that supposedly tapped into both tail lights and ran down to the hitch. I really didnt feel like taking it all apart and zip tying everything. Luckily I did not have to

I looked up behind the bumper and sure enough a factory plug was there. So I must have the factory trailer package. Took about an hour total. The only thing that bites is now my spare wont go back up in place. But that is ok.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what size spare you have? 15"or 16?
is not suppost to fit a 16" tire, but if you try to fit it sideways it should go all the way.

you can also try to cut a piece at the end of the hitch or simply take some pressure out of the tire, but make sure that you have an air compressor on your car.

what size spare you have? 15"or 16?
is not suppost to fit a 16" tire, but if you try to fit it sideways it should go all the way.

you can also try to cut a piece at the end of the hitch or simply take some pressure out of the tire, but make sure that you have an air compressor on your car.

Yes I have 16's. No way it was going to fit full of air. I never thought about airing it down.lol I will do that tommorrow. I wouldnt try to cut anything from the hitch.

I bought a 17" late Mountaineer rim as a spare. With a 275/60/17 tire it didn't want to go under my 98 truck. It took me about 30 minutes to use a sawzall to cut off about 1/4" from the backside of the hitch(square pipe). That includes a little filing to smooth the edges. I've never used the spare, but it's there. Good luck,

i fit a 255/70/16 underneath my 96 explorer after i slide it sideways in there. it was a tied fit, but it can be done.

Back