• Register Today It's free!

INSTALLED MY SYSTEM TODAY!

Holty

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer XLT AWD V8
WOW!!!!! I got all my system installed today, and only took me 15 hours total. What a pain in the ASS! Anyway, the sound is so good it is unbelievable!!!!! The highs and mids are so tight and crisp, yet i can turn it up so loud without distortion it could make your ears bleed. I LOVE IT!!!! I honestly think it sounds soooo good i could win sq competitions. I'm so happy it turned out good. Making the speaker brackets for the 6.5's in the doors was more pain than i thought. I suck at wood work so it took me like 3 hours to finally get them half way usable. I ran 12awg speaker wire to all four doors, than mounted my x-overs and amp to the back seat. I'll have pics soon.

One question,....i have this high pitched wine sound coming from my speakers and it seems to follow the trail of the rpm's when driving. for example, as the rpm's get higher, the wine get louder and higher pitched....what could this be? thanks!

Alpine CDA-7894
JL Audio XR650 components in the front
Infinity Reference 5752cf's in the rear
Kicker ZX460 amp

I used 4awg wire all the way back to a distribution block, then ran 8awg to the amp. Ran 8awg from the amp to a chassis ground. RCA's are run on the passenger side, power is run on the drivers side. what could my problem be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

could be a bad ground... thats what it was on my truck

Mike

Its a bad ground try it somewhere else.

Definately a ground problem. Do you have any EQ/Processor's in your system? Describe where all of your components are grounded. Finally, how do you have all of your leads routed, ie., power/ground/RCA's? I had a similar problem in my system, turned out that I needed to move a jumper pin inside my line driver which changes the power supply ground.

Your ground has to be on a clean and unpainted surface as well. If not, you will definatley get some noise.

Thanks for the help guys....i believe it is a ground problem. My amp is grounded to a bolt underneath the metal flap behind the back seat. It is painted, so that probably is the problem....i will take out the bolt, use a wire brush to remove the paint, then try it again. I'll let you know how it turns out. I should have pics tonight.

ground

If you're amp or crossovers ground fix doesn't work, make sure all your RCA cables are grounded. If you've joined any with a barrel connector (like under a seat), that may be the spot where you're having a problem.

I had a system years ago that only whined when I was in the backseat. It drove me so nuts on night with my girlfriend (ahem), that I ripped the seat out the next day, and found that the barrel connector was resting right on the metal body. a piece of foam under it fixed it.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to dig deeper...could be an oscillation between components or a magnetic field from an electric motor nearby or something.

I had the same problem and moving the ground locations (I have two different grounds - one for cap and one for amps) did not change anything... I ended up having to buy a ground loop isloator from Radio Shack. About $14. I believe they are a few bucks cheaper at Wal*Mart.

Hey B94Sport, how did that isolator work? Does it plug into the RCA's? Just curious, thanks.

Yeah, it plugs inline with the signal RCAs... It has male ends on both ends, so I also needed to buy two adapters with dual female ends to plug the male end of the signal RCA into the isolator, and then I just plugged the isolator into the amp... Alternator whine was gone! :) It doesn't require any power, ground, or remote turn on leads, either.

...Did not affect the sound quality any?

Nope, not at all :)

Holty,

The whine could also possibly be from your RCA signal cables being too close to your power cable. Ideally you want to run the power up one side and signal cables up the other, keeping them as separated as possible as they connect to your amp. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help everyone....i'll be checkin out the problem tomorrow....i havn't had time to even look at it the last couple of days. BTW, I do have my rca's running down the passenger side, and my power running down the drivers side.

I havn't got around to fixing my annoying feedback problem yet, but I did however snap some pics tonight for you guys to see. i'm in the process of making a site at cardomain.com but that site is soooo slow it's hopeless. if an elite member would be kind enough to post these pics for me i would be greatful. otherwise, email me and i'll send them to you.

jholty@attbi.com

i got my cardomain.com page up and my member name there is "holty". i can't get the link to work here so if you do a search you should be able to find my page.

Mikke,

I will email you the pics tomorrow....i don't see the anyone searching for them without a link...

Just copy the URL, then we can copy it to our address bar.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back