Installed New Radio.....Truck Won't Start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installed New Radio.....Truck Won't Start

confused-one

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Exp Sport-Trac
**HELP**!!! 2001 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac
So my Son installed a new radio into his truck, but instead of purchasing a wiring harness adapter to go from the truck to the aftermarket radio, he cut wires & connected them that way. Well now the Theft light is flashing rapidly & the truck won't start. When the key is turned, the engine won't even turn over. All fuses are good & I put a new ignition relay switch. We ran a wire directly from the starter & found that engine will turnover that way but won't start. You can hear the fuel pump come on. I'm confident it has to do something with the cutting of the wires; the computer is not getting a reading it needs.
Any HELP will be GREATLY appreciated......:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I HATE when people hack up a harness to save $8.

Pull the radio out and find out what he cut that he shouldnt have.

There's two plugs, small one & large one, w/wires; he cut the large one. The problem is I don't know what wires go to what.... I've been trying to find wiring diagrams on the internet but have had no luck. Any ideas???

first make sure he didnt forget something simple like hooking the battery back up, or if he accidentally pulled some sort of fuse he shouldnt have. your best bet is to reverse engineer everything your son did, like you are trying to go back to its original configuration. as you go back, you might be able to spot where he fumbled, like wires he crossed, or wires he cut that he shouldnt have, or wires that were left unconnected. basically, go about trying to install the original deck and keep an eye out for anything peculiar. good luck!

Im not sure which radio your sport trac had, but you can get wiring diagrams free online through autozone, just register and click on repair guide then wiring diagrams and you should be able to trace the wires. I found the radio diagrams in the 01 sport/entertainment system area. I wonder though before he installed the new radio, and started cutting wires did he disconnect the battery? That could have caused the issue. Anytime you do electrical wiring you should dissconnect the battery first.

you might also check out the mysporttrac,com website.

I HATE when people hack up a harness to save $8.

Pull the radio out and find out what he cut that he shouldnt have.

NO KIDDING !
Remove Radio and put the wiring back as original.

2001RadioConnector-1.jpg

Your PATS system thinks someone tried to steal your vehicle you have to get a obd II scaner with a service card installed and clear it

Roger that. I have a code reader. I'm going to try to read the codes & maybe it'll come up with something I can clear.... Thanks!

Awesome! Thanks for the diagram. This should shed some serious light on the issue, as far as what wire goes to what....

Back