Installed: Uniden PRO520XL, 4' FireStik II, Pyle PSP8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installed: Uniden PRO520XL, 4' FireStik II, Pyle PSP8

wbrudi28

Reaction score
City, State
West Islip, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer 4x4 XLT 4.0
So growing up, I always had an affinity for RC cars. Being that the Explorer is my toy (The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys!), I wanted to add some styling, fun and a small...function to my rig.

Thanks to Explorer0204 who answered some questions for me about part #'s and such, I was able to order the following to install:

1. Uniden Pro520XL 40 Ch. CB Radio (All metal frame, +++ in signal strength)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004VXNI/ref=oh_details_o03_s01_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. Firestik 4ft Firestik ® II FS Series Tunable Tip CB Antenna 900 Watts Red - Firestik FS-4RD (Red, to match my hi-temp painted capilers!)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SB6SDE/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3. Firestik SS-3H Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Antenna Spring

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00042LC9M/ref=oh_details_o03_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4. FireStik MK-184R Dodge Ram / Dakota hood mount kit

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X3C8WC/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5. PYLE PSP8 All Weather 5-Inch Trumpet Speaker

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D0LMG2/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Other Misc materials:
Zip Ties
Drill
Drill Bits
Misc wire (used to lengthen the high-gauge power wire, spliced in some water/gasoline proof insulated 14ga)
BAH (Big ass hammer, used to bend the Dodge antenna mount. Though stainless steel, it has a VERY high carbon content and is VERY tough to bend)

1. Used the provided self-tapping screws to attach the CB radio bracket to the center console as to not get in the way and also provide enough slack to the microphone. Used the provided self-taping screws to attach the Microphone clip just to the left of the 4x4 control buttons. Ignore the wire in the floowmat, its the 3.5mm wire i hadn't ziptied up above the pedals yet

Not Pictured: Ran the power wire that I spliced as stated above to the battery, along with the 3.5mm Mono jack from the PYLE Trumpet Speaker so I didnt have to fish wires through the firewall twice.

photo_2-1.jpg

2. Mounted the PYLE trumper Speaker in a fashion as so to project the sound to the ground, out to the front of the vehicle. If placed above the engine, the speaker will be muffled by the hood and the sound of the engine when running.
I simply drilled a few holes in the fender well cover and ziptied it securely. I also drilled a hole in the flare of the trumpet and ziptied the end to the frame to keep it from flapping around. kind of hard to see in the pic as the zip ties are also black.

(Yellow wires are the front mounted LEDs I have, nothing to do with the PA system)
photo_3-1.jpg

3. I took the antenna mount, with the advice of [MENTION=210899]Explorer0204[/MENTION] and had my way with it...in order to get it to fit behind the tail light and come out level so the antenna would stick straight up. I also had to trim a bit of the tail light, the black flare on the inside as the flathead screws i used were rounded flathead, not regular machine hardware. i used these as they were the largest shank screws i had and this bracket was only mounted into the sheet metal.

photo-1.jpg

4. Attached the HD FireStik spring, then the 4' FireStik. Note: I did not include a desctiption of how I routed the antenna wire to the CB radio..because I haven't yet. It started to get too cold and I havent looked into how to get the wire up there in the most efficient, least interfering way (dont want to add interference to the antenna transmission)

photo_1-1.jpg

photo_4-1.jpg

will update hopefully tomorrow once I finish!

Last thing I DO want to add...is some sort of an inline amplifier for the PA system. The speaker is 25w, but the PA output from the CB Radio is only 7 watts. If anyone has any ideas, i'm open for it :salute::salute:

Nice write up. I was going to write mine up eventually but you beat me to it! I forgot to mention to make sure you left clearance for the hatch to open. At first I mounted it and quickly realized the black piece that comes up with it hit my antenna..

I'm just saying this so anyone interested in doing it doesn't make the mistake.

I may steal your spot for the radio as well. It's a little more out of the way than mine is. If you don't mind though, I will post up my pictures I took as reference so people can see what the 3 foot antenna looks like as well as putting the cb where I have mine.

Run the cb wire through the rubber grommit that the tail light wire bundle goes through. You can then access it from inside the vehicle (it's a bit tricky though) and then you can shove it under the side panels in back.

Then run it under the footwell of front and rear doors (they pop off) Then under the carpet by your feet to keep it away from other wires and finally into the radio. This way keeps it away from most wires and is still easy and practical to do.

Back