Installing a 2nd gen rear hatch single handed. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing a 2nd gen rear hatch single handed.

Wondering if anybody has ever figured out a way to hang a rear hatch on a 2nd gen without assistance. I'm considering hanging it via a pulley from the carport, using the winch running the line up to the carport and over the roof of the truck. Other suggestions or stories of what you have done?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd rig up a long table against the body, a little taller so the hatch sits on it a little higher than the mounting points, and slide the bottom away from the body, on the table, to lower the top of it to match up. I'd tack a railing on the table to stop the hatch sliding off before it's fastened. Was thinking of replacing the top latches. Just going to paint the part that's getting rust on the glass, for now.

I put mine on by myself, without any sort of contraption. It’s not as bad as you think.

I have done them by myself a few times in the past as well

the 95-97 trucks are WAY HARDER the hatch weighs about additional 50#
98-01 too easy, the hatch is very light LOL

I use a rolling office chair to handle the weight of doors when installing them by myself, maybe helpful doing rear hatch also
office chair is nice because sdoft pad is okay on the paint, the height is adjustable and it rolls into position
You just need to get a couple of bolts started

Well, you were all right. I was basing the difficulty level on removing a complete hatch (glass, inner plastic, everything) from a pick a part in right quarters. Following the advice herei just setup on a steel pole (minus glass etc) and it went on fairly easily. Thanks for the tips!

20220704_170906.jpg

It really sounds daunting. Without the glass it’s not bad.

I was even surprised the paint wasn't as far off as I thought it would be. I mean it doesn't match, but it's close enough for off road work. 😁

Well, you were all right. I was basing the difficulty level on removing a complete hatch (glass, inner plastic, everything) from a pick a part in right quarters. Following the advice herei just setup on a steel pole (minus glass etc) and it went on fairly easily. Thanks for the tips!

View attachment 431211
Have a question for you,did you remove upper bolt in the hinges or just the two lower ones on each side,my 2000 Mountaineer has bent hinges causing the hatch to stick above the roofline and causing it to leak, would like to pull the hinges and either straighten or replace them but I don't know how to access the upper bolt

I removed the bolts holding the hatch to the hinge, leaving the hinges on the truck.

Wondering if anybody has ever figured out a way to hang a rear hatch on a 2nd gen without assistance. I'm considering hanging it via a pulley from the carport, using the winch running the line up to the carport and over the roof of the truck. Other suggestions or stories of what you have done?
did not do explorer my hade hitch factory 1.1/4 but it does bug me ford put 3500 hitch on truck that can tow at least 5000
but i did do a accent for a little 4x6 trailer when i was between explorers full class 2 i used a floor jack to balance it
larger hitch might need a 2. x 4 fitted or tied to jack

I installed a rear hatch, the upward swinging rear door. However the rear hitch can sometimes be difficult to install as well. They get heavy sometimes! Thanks for your input.

did not do explorer my hade hitch factory 1.1/4 but it does bug me ford put 3500 hitch on truck that can tow at least 5000
but i did do a accent for a little 4x6 trailer when i was between explorers full class 2 i used a floor jack to balance it
larger hitch might need a 2. x 4 fitted or tied to jack
I'll have what he's drinking please

Back