Installing a bench seat without belt airbag. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing a bench seat without belt airbag.

contagiouz

Reaction score
City, State
Pflugerville
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer Platinum
Hello,

Can i use a 2016 ford explorer with a airbag light on.

The airbag light will be on because i am installing a non inflatable seat belt seat from a police interceptor in my 2016 platinum.

I do not mind if the seat belt airbag does not work. I understand that the seat belt hook/clip (where the the seat belt pugs in) has a canister that inflates the seat belt airbag.

My question is by me installing a seat that does not have a canister to inflate the seat belt airbag, does that disable the whole airbag system in the suv or only that particular air bag, which is in the seat belt in that seat?

I have tried this by removing the connector under the seat and brings up a amber light in the instrument cluster.

I asked the ford server tech and he said it only disables that particular airbag because the amber light is saying there is an airbag fault, where as if the light was red meaning critical indicating that the system/ module is faulted.

thanks for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have not read about the different colours before. Previous posts have indicated that if the airbag warning light is on then the system is inoperative. See pages 46 and 47 in your Manual.

Peter

Do u have the have yearly inspections? If so, you will fail with that light on.

Have read about the different colours before. Previous posts have indicated that if the airbag warning light is on then the system is inoperative. See pages 46 and 47 in your Manual.

Peter
I checked but couldnt find anything pertaining to if one airbag is disconnected or if its a amber vs red light.

Do u have the have yearly inspections? If so, you will fail with that light on.

I will be keeping the regular seats. SO when time comes for inspection i can reinstall them and the light goes off. Tested by removing the connection from below the seat, light came on, turned car off connected the seat and turned car on, light went off.

but besides the inspection im worried about the whole airbag system not working because of one airbag disconnection. Doesn't seem logical for the system or manufacturer to do that but better to be safe.

Can anyone shed some light to this topic...

I checked but couldnt find anything pertaining to if one airbag is disconnected or if its a amber vs red light.

I will be keeping the regular seats. SO when time comes for inspection i can reinstall them and the light goes off. Tested by removing the connection from below the seat, light came on, turned car off connected the seat and turned car on, light went off.

but besides the inspection im worried about the whole airbag system not working because of one airbag disconnection. Doesn't seem logical for the system or manufacturer to do that but better to be safe.

Sorry, my post you quoted was missing the word NOT. As in I have NOT read about different warning light colours before. The Manual only refers to a steady or flashing light. No mention of colours. Makes me wonder if the service tech was correct in what he said. In any case I would want to make very, very sure before doing a mod that may render the airbags useless.

Peter

Might have to dig into IDS programming and see if you can deactivate the rear seatbelt airbags.

Sorry, my post you quoted was missing the word NOT. As in I have NOT read about different warning light colours before. The Manual only refers to a steady or flashing light. No mention of colours. Makes me wonder if the service tech was correct in what he said. In any case I would want to make very, very sure before doing a mod that may render the airbags useless.

Peter

Got it, yea no kidding. I am very skeptical about what he said and i asked him multiple times and he was pretty sure. I am coming from Volkswagen and VW service was never shy to let me speak to a vw tech. But for some reason Ford service centers are not to happy about customers speaking to a ford service tech. I am sure they would know.

Might have to dig into IDS programming and see if you can deactivate the rear seatbelt airbags.

Thank you for putting time into this. I do really appreciate the help.

Back