• Register Today It's free!

Installing a pioneer d3

Ryanc721

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfield, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited
is it possible to install a double din pioneer avic d3 into a 98 sport?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If cutting the bezel, wiring in a harness and using a mount plate is easy, then yep. :)

i already have a pioneer installed....do i still need wire harnesses or can i use the same one? and do i trim the double din kit or the radio thing itself...and is there a specific double din kit i need or one u can recommend?

(1) Do you still need the harness?

I don't know what radio you have or how they installed it. So, you'll essentially have to pull it out and check.

(2) Do you trim the DD kit or the radio thing?

You trim the bezel. But, if you have an after-market kit in there now, you installer may have done this.

(3) Is there a specific kit?

Metra 5805.

31054XVXK9L._AA250_.jpg

i have a pioneer deh-p4900IB

DSC00968.jpg

assuming a harness was used with the pioneer, you can reuse it. as for the dash, it's not required to trim it to make the kit the pioneer is mounted with to work so you'll have to trim it yourself.

Best Kits (aka. American International) has a 2din kit too. can't recall the model right off hand but it works the same as the Metra kit

does anyone have a picture of the back of the d3?

so does the pioneer harness from the single din head unit pioneer work with the double din pioneer d3 and if so is the rest of the wiring and connections plug and play or is there additional cutting and splicing?

so does the pioneer harness from the single din head unit pioneer work with the double din pioneer d3

no

is the rest of the wiring and connections plug and play or is there additional cutting and splicing?

only other connections are the e-brake if you don't do the bypass and a VSS (optional). well, then the gps antenna

vss is not needed?

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I'm installing a D3 in my 98 explorer soon and I'm wondering if I need an antenna adapter as well as the radio harness?

no you won't need an antenna adapter

Anyone have pics of the GPS antenna mounting and installation etc?? Thanks

I saw the note that the vss is not needed for the unit to function. But suppose I want to hook it up in an 03 - any idea what/where I connect it to? If this is a stupid question, I apologize in advance.

I saw the note that the vss is not needed for the unit to function. But suppose I want to hook it up in an 03 - any idea what/where I connect it to? If this is a stupid question, I apologize in advance.

Couldn't find much on 2003 VSS, but on 2005 VSS, it's a gray/black wire in the radio harness. Who knows, could be the same.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks - I'll check that.

Back