Installing after market Keyless Remote Kick Panel Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing after market Keyless Remote Kick Panel Question

AlaskanJack

Elite Cabin-Fever Captain
Reaction score
City, State
Centralia, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 , 93 & 01 Sports
My autostart didn't have the needed relays to work the keyless locks but I now have the relays. I have been trying to hook everything up and have run into a few problems.

I know that the lock side is pink/yellow and the unlock side is pink/green. Here's my problem. I removed the kick panel and pulled up as much of the dog leg as I could. I found 1 pink/yellow and 2 pink/green wires in the bundle. I am thinking that these wires are going to the rear hatch lock. When I checked them for power when the lock unlock buttons were pushed I got just a (-) on my multimeter. I could see some pink wires higher up but can't reach them. I ended up cutting into the dog leg a little. Does anyone know if I have to remove the parking brake to expose more of the kick panel area to access these wires?

I am also connecting up some of the wires that weren't mandatory for the autostart to run. While I was searching for the Blue Horn wire I couldn't find any blue wire going into the steering column. I found a three wire assembly with a blue/black wire but no single Blue. Did they use any other coclors that anyone knows of? If not then I have to remove the steering wheel cover and see which color is actually connected to the horn.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey man i installed a keyless entry on my 95' sport tha other day....... i had to use tha relays also. tha instructions said to use pink/yellow & pink/green for tha power lock and unlock but i found that to be wrong.... all that did was complete the circuit but the locks would not unlock for me on tha press of a button ........ I had to use pink/black and pink/yellow for lock motor and unlock motor, you will find these wires in the kick panel on the drivers side and passenger side..... i did not find the wire colors to the rear hatch? so all i have is my 2 front doors hooked up but i like it and it works ........ hope it all goes well , if you got any questions holla back

Jack, I'm not sure what dogleg you're talking about, but I found both the wires in the main harness behind the kick panel. There are a bunch of wires and you might need to cut the split loom and tape off the harness to get a better look. One thing I did just to make sure the colors were right (because my diagram from bulldog was wrong in some of the ignition wires) was to pull off the bezel around the switch assembly and check for the pink wires going into the switch. Sure enough they were there, so I kept looking and found them in the kick panel harness.

PHP:
  [QUOTE] Does anyone know if I have to remove the parking brake to expose more of the kick panel area to access these wires?[/QUOTE]

I didn't have to remove the parking brake, my kick panel slid out from underneath it.

My kick panel came right out but there is a dog leg behind it ( a black rubber cover). I can access the wire bundle but I think it is too low because the wires don't check out. I pulled my switch and the wires I want are Pink/Yellow and Pink/Lt Green. But when I check these in the bundle they don't give me the power when I push the lock/unlock switch. One wire should be grounded and only show power when unlock buton is pushed and vice versa for the lock. Problem is I get nothing.

I've had a change of mind. I am going to pull the door panel and make my connections in there and mount my relays there. I will fish my plug through the rubber bellows in door jamb until it comes out the dash.

Hopefully there is room.

If you've checked at the switch those wires should definitely be in the kick panel. I'd check them again because there is a nice little indent in the black rubber piece where the relays can mount and then you don't have to mess with fishing them through the door.

Back