Installing Aftermarket Fog lights (in factory location) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing Aftermarket Fog lights (in factory location)

Installing Aftermarket Fog lights (in factory location). The how to..

Note: Before starting, try to figure out which wire is positive. You can do this with a multimeter. Mark the + with a marker. However, this usually isn't important with lights. If it is a problem in the end, switch the two wires going into the light.

1.) Disconnect all wiring to factory Fog Lights. Take out bulb.

2.) Break out Factoy Lights. The lights are glued in. In my case, one broke out by itself. The other I broke out using a chisel.
DSCF1189.jpg

3.) Drill holes where needed and mount bracket. You may use sheet metal screws but I went with bolts because there is less of a chance of them backing out. Also it decreases the amount at which they bounce, while going over bumps.
4.) When both holes are drilled, mount the bracket. (Before doing this you may want to tape off the bumper and spray paint your assembly)
DSCF1183.jpg

DSCF1177.jpg

5.) Mount the Light onto the bracket or however you plan on mounting the light.
6.) Cut off the old adaptor from the factory lights (located at the end of the existing wiring) .
DSCF1181.jpg

7.) Cut back the rubber protector around the wiring. This is there to protect the wire, so only cut as little as possible. Tape this back closed when process is complete. Also strip the wire at this point. Both on the factory wiring and new fog lighting.
8.) Connect existing wiring with wiring to fog lights. This should be done with some sort of crimp that is resistant to water. Usually they have some sort of shrink material. If you do use regular crimps or tie caps, make sure you use plenty of electrical tape. This is to keep water and dust out.
DSCF1185.jpg

8.) Turn on Headlights and fog light switch. Enjoy lights.
Fogs2.jpg

The whole process took me about 2 hours but if I hadn't had trouble with my bracket, it probably would have taken 1 1/2 hours. It is actually very simple.

Well Pilot has a website but I am not sure if you can order from them direct. I got these at my local AutoZone for $19.99. If you take the measurements of the OEM lights to AutoZone, they may be able to order you something for the same price. Tell them that you saw a kit for $19.99 they fits very close. Mine are slightly smaller. Height wise, they are probably about 1/2" but the width is only slightly smaller. They fit very close to the size of the hole in the valance.

Here is how close they come to fitting:

Here is a picture of the kit. You might be able to take this pic to AutoZone and have them order it for you. If they can figure out the correct kit
($19.99, Pilot, single 55 watt bulb, clear lense (Mine came from their location in Depew, NY on Walden Ave.. Maybe they can contact them and have them sent))

I brought the same extact ones that you have installed! except they were blue lens, when I tried putting it into the empty slot, it was also small, just like in the photos. What I'll do this, I'll go ahead and buy it again, install it,
but none of the brackets reach the OEM bracket slots, and I have no idea how to install it there. The wiring seems easy, I'll use your guide. The stock fog light button works the fog lights, correct?

I brought the same extact ones that you have installed! except they were blue lens, when I tried putting it into the empty slot, it was also small, just like in the photos. What I'll do this, I'll go ahead and buy it again, install it,
but none of the brackets reach the OEM bracket slots, and I have no idea how to install it there. The wiring seems easy, I'll use your guide. The stock fog light button works the fog lights, correct?

It sure does. Just have to cut off the OEM plug and use that wiring. Cut off the ends of the new wiring to the lights. All you need to do is then crimp them together. Mount the bracket the way I show. It will be a close-to-OEM fit. Make sure you angle them the way you want before completely tightening (you will see what I am talking about when you put the lights on the brackets).

Yea, they don't exactly fit but they are close. I was relatively happy, although I think they could be brighter.

ohh..... not sure what it is meant for but I can tell you that it never held the fog lenses in place. They where only glued on. There is no hole for that size of a bolt to go in, on the lense. Couldn't tell ya. Ill look more closely next time I am under the truck.

Were they glued onto the front Valance? Because in Stock explorers, they are not glued there. They are, in fact, mounted onto that big ole bolt Bill was talking about. By the first pic, it looks like some one did a quick fix on your X and just glued them on to the front valance. Probably a Previous owner. So, you both are right.....But, that is what that big bolt is for. When I got mine from my dad one light had busted off and the other was still attached to it.
The new ones look really nice. I did the same thing and I really like them.

Back