• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• We are aware of the issue with our internal search engine and we will be bringing it back online shortly. For now please use the Google search bar near the top of each page. Thanks, Rick
^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Installing aftermarket GPS in 2002 Explorer

tylertech

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02
I have a 2002 Ford Explorer with an OEM Stereo installed right now. I ordered a standard aftermarket double din GPS navigation system, and while trying to install it, I noticed the harnesses didn't fit, so I figured I would have to solder the wires together. I went to Pep Boys, and they highly discouraged me doing this because they said it specific OEM units would only work, and if something went wrong, I wouldn't be able to change back to my old one or even start my car (which I don't see how it's possible).

Does anyone else think it's ok to go on installing this? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

emtexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Bristol Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 xlt
I have a 2002 Ford Explorer with an OEM Stereo installed right now. I ordered a standard aftermarket double din GPS navigation system, and while trying to install it, I noticed the harnesses didn't fit, so I figured I would have to solder the wires together. I went to Pep Boys, and they highly discouraged me doing this because they said it specific OEM units would only work, and if something went wrong, I wouldn't be able to change back to my old one or even start my car (which I don't see how it's possible).

Does anyone else think it's ok to go on installing this? Thanks!
whats the brand name of the unit you bought?

I had a Innovatek double din dvd touchscreen navi unit and I could use a metra harness adapter to hook it up. I would agree with the pep boys, dont solder it there should be a harness to make it work.

that way you can take it out later if you want.

tylertech

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02
whats the brand name of the unit you bought?

I had a Innovatek double din dvd touchscreen navi unit and I could use a metra harness adapter to hook it up. I would agree with the pep boys, dont solder it there should be a harness to make it work.

that way you can take it out later if you want.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. I'm not even sure of the brand name and the harness it came with didn't fit. Are there different types of harnesses that I could go out and by? If not I'm probably going to return this and get one with a custom harness.

emtexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Bristol Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 xlt
Yeah that's what I was thinking. I'm not even sure of the brand name and the harness it came with didn't fit. Are there different types of harnesses that I could go out and by? If not I'm probably going to return this and get one with a custom harness.
does it fit the unit itself?

if so you will need one of these. this harness connects to your stock connector. The other wires get connected to the harness that came with the unit.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120701771/Receiver-Wire-Harness.html?tp=2977

you can get one of these harneses from crutchfield, ebay, best buy, etc

hope this helps you

Josh

tylertech

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02

tylertech

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02
Just an update, I was successfully able to get it working! I got a harness at Best Buy, and stripped the navigation's wires ends and used butt connecters and connected them. I had issues getting the panel on, but it all works great!

emtexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Bristol Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 xlt
Just an update, I was successfully able to get it working! I got a harness at Best Buy, and stripped the navigation's wires ends and used butt connecters and connected them. I had issues getting the panel on, but it all works great!
Sounds good,

Great Job!!!!

Post some pics

Later

Josh

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F 2000 Explorer - Installing Aftermarket HU Explorer Audio & Navigation 20
N installing aftermarket radio help! Explorer Audio & Navigation 4
C PATS/aftermarket alarm system question when installing new cd player - 00' xlt 4dr Explorer Audio & Navigation 4
A help installing aftermarket stereo Explorer Audio & Navigation 1
F Lincoln Aviator - Installing aftermarket subwoofer & amplifier. Explorer Audio & Navigation 10
G Installing An Aftermarket CD Player In A 94 Ford Explorer with Factory Amp Explorer Audio & Navigation 7
F Installing aftermarket in-dash Navigation Explorer Audio & Navigation 0
P installing aftermarket amp for sub on factory JBL system? Explorer Audio & Navigation 2
K Factory Alarm stopped working after installing aftermarket radio Explorer Audio & Navigation 0
M Help with installing aftermarket head unit Explorer Audio & Navigation 2
E I need help installing an aftermarket stereo. Explorer Audio & Navigation 2
E Installing a Aftermarket Sub on a 2001 Stock Premium headunit Explorer Audio & Navigation 0
R 2005 Explore Limited Edition - installing aftermarket HU but keeping stock DVD Explorer Audio & Navigation 18
M Installing aftermarket radio, can't find right connectors, HELP! Explorer Audio & Navigation 26
N Installing aftermarket amp to factory CD changer. Explorer Audio & Navigation 0
M Installing aftermarket deck into 92 Explorer Audio & Navigation 2
S help installing aftermarket sub with stock headunit Explorer Audio & Navigation 3
T installing aftermarket radio help with rca output Explorer Audio & Navigation 13
M Installing aftermarket HU without a harness (91EB) Explorer Audio & Navigation 7
T Need Help With Installing Aftermarket Head Unit (Sony) in '91 XLT w/JBL Explorer Audio & Navigation 6
D Installing new entertainment system Explorer Audio & Navigation 2
T Installing factory amp/sub in my 94. Wiring question. Explorer Audio & Navigation 7
O Problems Installing New Stereo Explorer Audio & Navigation 12
S Button harness, 05' Mountaineer, installing CarPlay Explorer Audio & Navigation 4
B Installing a Subwoofer without the JBL sound system Explorer Audio & Navigation 10
N Installing ceiling mount DVD player Explorer Audio & Navigation 7
J Problem with installing review camera Explorer Audio & Navigation 0
C installing indash dvd Explorer Audio & Navigation 3
A Installing a carputer in a 95 with JBL Explorer Audio & Navigation 1
N Installing newer OEM head unit Explorer Audio & Navigation 3
W Help Installing OEM Entertainment Explorer Audio & Navigation 7
L Help installing speakers. Explorer Audio & Navigation 4
D Battery light on after installing new alternator Explorer Audio & Navigation 5
J installing subs today, got a couple? 's Explorer Audio & Navigation 2
A Need Help Installing New Stereo on 95 Explorer w/ JBL Premium Sound System Explorer Audio & Navigation 12
N ? about installing new head unit, sub, and amp Explorer Audio & Navigation 1
J Installing Pioneer AVIC Z130BT - Pics, need some advice Explorer Audio & Navigation 2
L Any Explorer Dudes In/Near Boise, ID Up For Some Audio Installing? Explorer Audio & Navigation 1
I Installing Speakers 1997 Explorer Audio & Navigation 3
J Installing rear speakers 1st gen sport Explorer Audio & Navigation 1
C Need help installing subwoofer Explorer Audio & Navigation 5
S Help On Installing Door Speakers..... Explorer Audio & Navigation 11
J Help: Installing Line out converter 2009 Explorer Explorer Audio & Navigation 16
Y trouble installing head unit 99 explorer Explorer Audio & Navigation 1
X Questions about installing my amps. Explorer Audio & Navigation 1
S wiring question for installing alpine head unit Explorer Audio & Navigation 1
H I need help installing a sub amp & head unit. Explorer Audio & Navigation 3
A I need help installing a DVD player. Explorer Audio & Navigation 2
S No more dash lighting after installing a Kenwood Headunit Explorer Audio & Navigation 1
B Installing sony xplod speakers on 97 xlt Explorer Audio & Navigation 5