Installing aftermarket headunit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing aftermarket headunit

TorontoGuy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer XL
So I've searched and couldn't really find what was necessary to install a single DIN head unit into my 91 Explorer. I'd go with the appropriate wiring harness, but would some sort of dash kit be required? How about an antenna adapter? I have the standard cassette radio without the Dolby option, so I don't have to mess with the amp bypass.

Is any modification required to install the headunit? Or is it as simple as sliding in the cage and bending out the proper tabs?

Thanks a lot guys! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's pretty much a simple swap. Wiring will be your only main task but take your time and it'll be fine, there are usually less than 12 connections so you might as well solder them. Most new stereos will come with the new sleeve/cage and trim ring.

I think you have to rim the hole a little because its not quite wide enough but not much

Can you elaborate on what needs to be trimmed, please?

Yes, on a 91 the dash opening isn't actually DIN sized. You will have to cut the hole a little & either install the dash kit you linked or use it as is with the HU's trim ring. 92 up used a standard DIN hole.

Thanks Jason, if I don't use the kit I linked and just used the headunit's trim ring, would there be gaps?

There will be a small gap. Though how much depends on what kind of trim ring the HU comes with. Some hide it better then others.

When you take the old radio out the square opening is not quite large enough for an aftermarket radio so with a dremel or tool of some sort you trim it so the aftermarket stereo will fit in and with the beauty ring it will cover the trimmed part. Mine looks like it was trimmed a 1/2 inch on each side. I dont have that adapter and mine looks fine

I'm not too keen on shaving off the factory trim piece so I went ahead and ordered the new trim piece.

Now I have to ask if anybody has any install tips for that trim piece :D

Thanks guys!

I don't remember having to modify the opening on our '92.

All I did was pick up the harnesses (had the premium system with the amp in the back) to make connections easy, and to bypass the amp.

The new head unit came with a metal sleeve (like all head units now) and you just shove that in there, bend the tabs to keep it in there, fish the wires through the sleeve and shove the head unit in, right side up (Yes, I've installed it upside down once.. :) ).

I picked mine up at Crutchfield, years ago.. They may not be the cheapest place in the world, but they have good customer service and send you great instructions.. You can even call them if you get stuck doing an install (I haven't used that feature).

~Mark

Mine had an aftermarket stereo and when i took it out it looked like they trimmed alsour other explorer was trimmed uneavenly but trimmed a 1/4 inch and the cage still is a pita to fit in there but idk thought you had to matbe different stereos ours didnt have rear sub though

Never had to trim any of mine(5 explorers) with a single din.

Back